AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Pregnancy among adolescents continues to be a very serious problem in Mexico. According to the 2012 national Research studies, the abandonment of high school education is the second leading cause of school dropout among adolescent women. One out of two gets pregnant and the pregnancy rate among minors in the age group 12-19 has not reduced, in fact, since 2000, continues to increase. According to the document "Teenage pregnancy" of the national program that provides scholarships for young mothers, shame, stigma and social prejudices are some of the causes why pregnant teenagers drop out of school.
In the Faculty of Law of the Juárez University of the State of Durango (UJED), the president of the alumni association has revealed that an alarming number of young people get pregnant. Out of 2000 students, 30% are parents. To limit this phenomenon, students of UJED have created a unique nursery in the Country.
Created by students for students, who pay a fee depending on their socio-economic level, was built thanks to the initiative of university students with the support of the Government and the University, and is open from 7 am to 8 pm. It currently houses 160 children and the waiting list is very long. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2014)
- 2015-11-18 - AMERICA/MEXICO – The missing priest's body found, he had been set on fire
- 2015-11-17 - Parish priest in Cook has been missing for days
- 2015-11-16 - The child martyrs of Tlaxcala: martyrs of all Latin America
- 2015-11-12 - Minors not allowed to work in the sugarcane fields
- 2015-11-10 - A battlefield where migrants suffer, are attacked, die
- 2015-11-06 - Mgr. Arizmendi inaugurates a house of the migrant in Tuxtla Gutierrez
- 2015-11-05 - Bishops' appeal for peace: "Dialogue with everyone, even with organized crime"
- 2015-11-03 - For the first time in Mexican history a Pope's encyclical will be presented in the Senate
- 2015-10-27 - “Drugs are drugs even when sold as medicines”: the Catholic stance
- 2015-10-27 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Children in mining areas risk lead poisoning