AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Pregnancy among adolescents continues to be a very serious problem in Mexico. According to the 2012 national Research studies, the abandonment of high school education is the second leading cause of school dropout among adolescent women. One out of two gets pregnant and the pregnancy rate among minors in the age group 12-19 has not reduced, in fact, since 2000, continues to increase. According to the document "Teenage pregnancy" of the national program that provides scholarships for young mothers, shame, stigma and social prejudices are some of the causes why pregnant teenagers drop out of school.
In the Faculty of Law of the Juárez University of the State of Durango (UJED), the president of the alumni association has revealed that an alarming number of young people get pregnant. Out of 2000 students, 30% are parents. To limit this phenomenon, students of UJED have created a unique nursery in the Country.
Created by students for students, who pay a fee depending on their socio-economic level, was built thanks to the initiative of university students with the support of the Government and the University, and is open from 7 am to 8 pm. It currently houses 160 children and the waiting list is very long. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2014)
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature
- 2015-07-27 - Mariachi Zombie: amusing animated television series discredits bad zombie myth
- 2015-07-22 - Truth, justice, forgiveness and reconciliation: the pillars of peace promoted by the Church
- 2015-07-20 - Young Chiapas form an orchestra with pre-Hispanic instruments
- 2015-07-14 - Bishops on the escape of El Chapo, "we are not naive, we must eradicate corruption"
- 2015-07-13 - "Corruption spreads when transparency remains only good intentions": the Catholic voice before the scandals
- 2015-07-02 - A recreational project for indigenous children of different ethnicities
- 2015-07-02 - Widespread violence does not spare even three elderly nuns
- 2015-06-25 - Periodic monitoring of the situation of migrants, joint efforts of government and Church
- 2015-06-15 - Bishop of Mazatlan’s appeal after the violence perpetrated during the weekend