AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Pregnancy among adolescents continues to be a very serious problem in Mexico. According to the 2012 national Research studies, the abandonment of high school education is the second leading cause of school dropout among adolescent women. One out of two gets pregnant and the pregnancy rate among minors in the age group 12-19 has not reduced, in fact, since 2000, continues to increase. According to the document "Teenage pregnancy" of the national program that provides scholarships for young mothers, shame, stigma and social prejudices are some of the causes why pregnant teenagers drop out of school.
In the Faculty of Law of the Juárez University of the State of Durango (UJED), the president of the alumni association has revealed that an alarming number of young people get pregnant. Out of 2000 students, 30% are parents. To limit this phenomenon, students of UJED have created a unique nursery in the Country.
Created by students for students, who pay a fee depending on their socio-economic level, was built thanks to the initiative of university students with the support of the Government and the University, and is open from 7 am to 8 pm. It currently houses 160 children and the waiting list is very long. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"