AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
Mexico City (Agenzia Fides) - Pregnancy among adolescents continues to be a very serious problem in Mexico. According to the 2012 national Research studies, the abandonment of high school education is the second leading cause of school dropout among adolescent women. One out of two gets pregnant and the pregnancy rate among minors in the age group 12-19 has not reduced, in fact, since 2000, continues to increase. According to the document "Teenage pregnancy" of the national program that provides scholarships for young mothers, shame, stigma and social prejudices are some of the causes why pregnant teenagers drop out of school.
In the Faculty of Law of the Juárez University of the State of Durango (UJED), the president of the alumni association has revealed that an alarming number of young people get pregnant. Out of 2000 students, 30% are parents. To limit this phenomenon, students of UJED have created a unique nursery in the Country.
Created by students for students, who pay a fee depending on their socio-economic level, was built thanks to the initiative of university students with the support of the Government and the University, and is open from 7 am to 8 pm. It currently houses 160 children and the waiting list is very long. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 05/03/2014)
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude
- 2015-02-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Nine years of indifference and impunity: the tragedy of Pasta de Conchos mine
- 2015-02-18 - “The poor are the ones who pay the price of corrupt politicians” Bishops denounce
- 2015-02-16 - For 20 years a group of women has offered railway-line assistance to emigrants travelling towards the United States
- 2015-02-12 - The Archdiocese of Acapulco committed to protecting young people from criminal gangs
- 2015-02-10 - Migrants: a phenomenon which is difficult to quantify
- 2015-02-09 - The Bishop of Zacatecas: "People die every day"
- 2015-01-27 - Cardinal Rivera: "To change our society personal conversion is needed"