AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of the Democratic Republic of Congo are contrary to the hypothesis of indirect vote to elect mayors, councilors and provincial deputies, as proposed by the President of the Independent Electoral Commission (CENI), Father Malu Malu.
The Bishops’ position was announced in a statement issued on 3 March in Kinshasa.
"The Bishops - said Don Leonard Santedi, Secretary General of the National Episcopal Conference of Congo, CENCO at a press conference - believe that the hypothesis of provincial or municipal elections by indirect suffrage is not suitable to consolidate our democracy".
Indirect election calls for citizens to vote "great electors" who in turn will proceed to elect administrators and deputies. The Bishops are concerned that this procedure will increase the possibility of fraud and manipulation through the corruption of the "great electors".
"We want municipal, urban and local elections to be carried out through indirect suffrage, in order to consolidate our democracy but also to allow the population to exercise its right recognized by the population", say the Bishops in their statement.
CENCO finally, calls for provincial elections to be organized in the first quarter of 2015 in order to conclude the election cycle which began in 2011, and then proceed, in 2016, with the presidential election. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2014)
- 2014-12-22 - North Kivu: the conclusions of the meeting of the "wise men" to end the war in the Territory of Beni
- 2014-12-17 - Meeting of the "wise men" begins today to put an end to the massacres in the territory of Beni
- 2014-12-16 - More groups commit massacres against civilians in Beni: maybe a new war?
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – More massacres in Beni area; civil society starts dialogue
- 2014-12-05 - More than 88,000 persons displaced by guerrilla violence; no words describe the tragedy and horror
- 2014-11-26 - The massacres in Beni: carried out by a criminal network made up of guerrillas and corrupt military
- 2014-11-25 - AFRICA/DR CONGO – The Bishops: "Violence against women is a crime against humanity"
- 2014-11-24 - Another massacre in North Kivu: 200 people were killed in the area in October
- 2014-11-19 - Ebola: No new cases registered in the Country
- 2014-11-17 - Stop to minerals of war: appeal to the European Union so that it strengthen controls