AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of the Democratic Republic of Congo are contrary to the hypothesis of indirect vote to elect mayors, councilors and provincial deputies, as proposed by the President of the Independent Electoral Commission (CENI), Father Malu Malu.
The Bishops’ position was announced in a statement issued on 3 March in Kinshasa.
"The Bishops - said Don Leonard Santedi, Secretary General of the National Episcopal Conference of Congo, CENCO at a press conference - believe that the hypothesis of provincial or municipal elections by indirect suffrage is not suitable to consolidate our democracy".
Indirect election calls for citizens to vote "great electors" who in turn will proceed to elect administrators and deputies. The Bishops are concerned that this procedure will increase the possibility of fraud and manipulation through the corruption of the "great electors".
"We want municipal, urban and local elections to be carried out through indirect suffrage, in order to consolidate our democracy but also to allow the population to exercise its right recognized by the population", say the Bishops in their statement.
CENCO finally, calls for provincial elections to be organized in the first quarter of 2015 in order to conclude the election cycle which began in 2011, and then proceed, in 2016, with the presidential election. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2014)
- 2014-09-17 - "No to the revision of the Constitution, because it puts at risk the stability of the Country", say the Bishops
- 2014-09-15 - “A lively Church but the faith needs to be deepened” says President of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference
- 2014-09-12 - Civil society: "the press in Rwanda is being provocative with regards to the border lines"
- 2014-09-02 - Dismay for the death, only months apart, of the two army officers who defeated M23
- 2014-07-28 - It is necessary to vaccinate children against measles
- 2014-07-10 - Appeal of Caritas: "Help us bring home more than 2,400 people expelled from Brazzaville"
- 2014-07-07 - The army and the UN did not intervene to stop the massacre in Mutarule, HRW denounces
- 2014-07-02 - The Bishops recall "the sacred duty to protect the nation and preserve peace"
- 2014-06-26 - Emergency continues for girls accused of witchcraft
- 2014-06-25 - "Address the problem of Rwandan Hutu militias once and for all" ask the missionaries