ASIA/SYRIA - The Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo: During Lent prayers and fasting to ask for the gift of peace
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - In Syria, the Eastern Rite Churches have already begun Lent, the liturgical season during which the Christian, with a journey of conversion, fully lives the mystery of the resurrection of Christ in his annual memory. For the third consecutive year, the beginning of Lent is lived by Syrian Christians in a country torn apart by civil war. "In our parishes" ssys to Fides Agency the Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo Boutros Marayati "we celebrated the beginning of Lent already on Sunday afternoon. There were many faithful and the participation was intense.
This year we will intensify occasions of prayer, penance and fasting to ask more forcefully that the path to the resurrection of Christ is blessed with the gift of peace".
In the central part of Aleppo – says Archbishop Marayati – on March 3, a mortar shell fell near a school in the neighborhood of al-Khadilieh killing a child and an adult. While in a suburb previously controlled by the militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, activists from other anti-Assad factions found a mass grave with at least six bodies. Recently, the ISIL militants have abandoned some locations in the region of Aleppo following the offensive of other armed groups of Syrian insurgents. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2014)
- 2015-10-12 - Father Jihad (Community of Deir Mar Musa): we thank Christians and Muslims who prayed for the release of father Murad
- 2015-10-08 - The jihadists release the video of the execution of three Assyrian hostages
- 2015-10-07 - Video released on the Christians in Qaryatayn who sign a "protection pact"
- 2015-10-02 - Archbishop Hindo " McCain’s disturbing words on anti-Assad rebels armed by the CIA"
- 2015-09-29 - Bishop Abou Khazen: the choices of the West on the Syrian conflict continue to be inconsiderate
- 2015-09-25 - The self-defense "Sotoro" militias shoot each other
- 2015-09-18 - The Marists in Aleppo: there is a risk of getting used to horror
- 2015-09-15 - Four Christians among the victims of the jihadist attack in Hassaké
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop Hindo: the demands of the jihadists for the release of the Assyrian hostages are more accessible
- 2015-09-04 - Negotiations on the release of father Murad and 270 hostages, Christians and Muslims