ASIA/SYRIA - The Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo: During Lent prayers and fasting to ask for the gift of peace
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - In Syria, the Eastern Rite Churches have already begun Lent, the liturgical season during which the Christian, with a journey of conversion, fully lives the mystery of the resurrection of Christ in his annual memory. For the third consecutive year, the beginning of Lent is lived by Syrian Christians in a country torn apart by civil war. "In our parishes" ssys to Fides Agency the Armenian Catholic Archbishop of Aleppo Boutros Marayati "we celebrated the beginning of Lent already on Sunday afternoon. There were many faithful and the participation was intense.
This year we will intensify occasions of prayer, penance and fasting to ask more forcefully that the path to the resurrection of Christ is blessed with the gift of peace".
In the central part of Aleppo – says Archbishop Marayati – on March 3, a mortar shell fell near a school in the neighborhood of al-Khadilieh killing a child and an adult. While in a suburb previously controlled by the militants of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant, activists from other anti-Assad factions found a mass grave with at least six bodies. Recently, the ISIL militants have abandoned some locations in the region of Aleppo following the offensive of other armed groups of Syrian insurgents. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2014)
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"
- 2015-03-18 - Millions of children deprived of education: schools destroyed or used as shelters for the displaced
- 2015-03-16 - The US "open" up to talks with Assad. Archbishop Hindo: forced choice
- 2015-03-14 - The Jubilee seen from Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: only mercy can save us from hatred and heal wounds
- 2015-03-11 - Uncertainty about the fate of Christians held hostage by jihadists
- 2015-03-05 - The Syrian Parliament commemorates the Armenian Genocide
- 2015-03-04 - The "rebels" say no to truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: powers from outside plan our torture