AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
Monterrey (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday, March 5th, when Lent begins, about 200 priests will pay a visit in the prisons of the state of Nuevo Leon (Mexico), for a celebration that will include the imposition of ashes to prisoners: this is what His Exc. Mgr. Rogelio Cabrera Lopez, Archbishop of Monterrey said in a note sent to Fides Agency. One group will be in Topo Chico prison, another in Apodaca and another in the prisons of Cadereyta .
"We want to help everyone with this gesture in order to bring a word of hope and encouragement to our brothers in prisons", explained Mgr. Cabrera. In addition, prisoners will be given the opportunity to confess if they want to.
This year, the Archbishop will preside over the imposition of ashes in the Cathedral of Monterrey at 7 am. In fact, he obtained a 2-hour permit (from 10 up to 12) to assist the prisoners in this particular occasion. "Lent is a special moment in which we must make sacrifices such as deprive ourselves of some food, but we also have to ask ourselves what we can do to actually help those most in need".
The work of the Catholic Church in prisons in Mexico has become a major challenge in a society that unfortunately continues to experience violence.
The Church intervened decisively when the issue of prisons in the country was faced (see Fides 16/10/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2014)
- 2014-12-15 - The Church reminds authorities that they even have to respond to the law for their actions
- 2014-12-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Conclusion of the 10th "Caravan of hope": 9 missing migrants found
- 2014-12-10 - The Church close to the families of the missing students and engaged in proposing solutions
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – After14 years ordination of 9 Indigenous permanent deacons
- 2014-12-09 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Young man dies to obtain justice
- 2014-12-06 - Bishop of Torreón calls for “more proposals and less protests to achieve peace”
- 2014-12-03 - Bishop Alba: "We cannot allow criminals steal our streets, steal our peace"
- 2014-11-29 - After improvised lessons in the street, minors are forced to bring chairs in a house used as a school every day
- 2014-11-29 - Students missing: "The authorities must clarify the situation", said the Bishop of Tlaxcala
- 2014-11-28 - From the first Sunday of Advent: Twelve Days of Prayer for Peace