AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
Monterrey (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday, March 5th, when Lent begins, about 200 priests will pay a visit in the prisons of the state of Nuevo Leon (Mexico), for a celebration that will include the imposition of ashes to prisoners: this is what His Exc. Mgr. Rogelio Cabrera Lopez, Archbishop of Monterrey said in a note sent to Fides Agency. One group will be in Topo Chico prison, another in Apodaca and another in the prisons of Cadereyta .
"We want to help everyone with this gesture in order to bring a word of hope and encouragement to our brothers in prisons", explained Mgr. Cabrera. In addition, prisoners will be given the opportunity to confess if they want to.
This year, the Archbishop will preside over the imposition of ashes in the Cathedral of Monterrey at 7 am. In fact, he obtained a 2-hour permit (from 10 up to 12) to assist the prisoners in this particular occasion. "Lent is a special moment in which we must make sacrifices such as deprive ourselves of some food, but we also have to ask ourselves what we can do to actually help those most in need".
The work of the Catholic Church in prisons in Mexico has become a major challenge in a society that unfortunately continues to experience violence.
The Church intervened decisively when the issue of prisons in the country was faced (see Fides 16/10/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - A Comboni missionary found dead in a mass grave, among other bodies
- 2014-11-13 - Mexican Bishops: "We do not want more blood, people killed or who disappear ... Enough!"
- 2014-11-11 - Show all the corruption and lies of those who have turned away from God and from the truth
- 2014-11-10 - The Bishops' appeal: "No more corruption and violence! Thorough investigation is needed"
- 2014-11-10 - The poor and the marginalized become producers of their food
- 2014-11-06 - Ecumenical Initiative: 43 hours of fasting and prayer for the 43 students of Ayotzinapa
- 2014-11-03 - The Bishops to the families of the students missing: "Hope pushes to keep fighting"
- 2014-10-30 - The families of the students who disappeared will be received by the President, Pope Francis asks for prayers
- 2014-10-27 - Living Rosary: 30 thousand faithful pray for drug traffickers and organized crime
- 2014-10-24 - Appeal and prayers for the students kidnapped: "Let them come back alive"