AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
Monterrey (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday, March 5th, when Lent begins, about 200 priests will pay a visit in the prisons of the state of Nuevo Leon (Mexico), for a celebration that will include the imposition of ashes to prisoners: this is what His Exc. Mgr. Rogelio Cabrera Lopez, Archbishop of Monterrey said in a note sent to Fides Agency. One group will be in Topo Chico prison, another in Apodaca and another in the prisons of Cadereyta .
"We want to help everyone with this gesture in order to bring a word of hope and encouragement to our brothers in prisons", explained Mgr. Cabrera. In addition, prisoners will be given the opportunity to confess if they want to.
This year, the Archbishop will preside over the imposition of ashes in the Cathedral of Monterrey at 7 am. In fact, he obtained a 2-hour permit (from 10 up to 12) to assist the prisoners in this particular occasion. "Lent is a special moment in which we must make sacrifices such as deprive ourselves of some food, but we also have to ask ourselves what we can do to actually help those most in need".
The work of the Catholic Church in prisons in Mexico has become a major challenge in a society that unfortunately continues to experience violence.
The Church intervened decisively when the issue of prisons in the country was faced (see Fides 16/10/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2014)
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States
- 2015-04-17 - The Assembly of Bishops: "Without trust and participation we cannot go forth!"
- 2015-04-15 - Every year thousands of children are born on the street, at home or in situations considered at high risk
- 2015-04-14 - Meeting between the Church and those responsible of the elections: no to boycott
- 2015-04-09 - Another priest killed
- 2015-03-31 - The denunciation of the Bishop of Piedras Negras: Too many missing persons of whom we know nothing
- 2015-03-23 - Caritas supports 80 thousand people without food or health care
- 2015-02-27 - The number of child laborers, exploited and often unpaid continues to increase
- 2015-02-27 - 5 months after the death of the students of Ayotzinapa: a calm but critical attitude