AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
Monterrey (Agenzia Fides) - On Wednesday, March 5th, when Lent begins, about 200 priests will pay a visit in the prisons of the state of Nuevo Leon (Mexico), for a celebration that will include the imposition of ashes to prisoners: this is what His Exc. Mgr. Rogelio Cabrera Lopez, Archbishop of Monterrey said in a note sent to Fides Agency. One group will be in Topo Chico prison, another in Apodaca and another in the prisons of Cadereyta .
"We want to help everyone with this gesture in order to bring a word of hope and encouragement to our brothers in prisons", explained Mgr. Cabrera. In addition, prisoners will be given the opportunity to confess if they want to.
This year, the Archbishop will preside over the imposition of ashes in the Cathedral of Monterrey at 7 am. In fact, he obtained a 2-hour permit (from 10 up to 12) to assist the prisoners in this particular occasion. "Lent is a special moment in which we must make sacrifices such as deprive ourselves of some food, but we also have to ask ourselves what we can do to actually help those most in need".
The work of the Catholic Church in prisons in Mexico has become a major challenge in a society that unfortunately continues to experience violence.
The Church intervened decisively when the issue of prisons in the country was faced (see Fides 16/10/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/03/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Mgr. Moreno Barron’s appeal: Go and vote, do not sell your vote
- 2015-05-19 - Six million Mexican children do not go to school because of discrimination
- 2015-05-13 - Tarahumara children sleep in schools so they are not forced to walk five hours
- 2015-05-13 - AMERICA/MEXICO – When will violence be stopped?
- 2015-05-11 - Mgr. Armendáriz to candidates: "We want proposals rather than promises"
- 2015-05-06 - The monumental image of the "Cristo de las Noas" will be donated to the diocese of Torreon
- 2015-04-30 - Toys, sweets, clothes, shoes: collection in favor of the more vulnerable indigenous children
- 2015-04-27 - Cardinal Robles: "There is corruption, mistrust, culture of violence, but we must propose a Church that goes forth"
- 2015-04-21 - Consecration of the Bishop of Orizaba: active participation of the indigenous community in Náhuatl language
- 2015-04-20 - Every day two thousand weapons smuggled into Mexico from the United States