AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Pray for Venezuela and discern events in the light of the Word of God
San Cristóbal (Agenzia Fides) – “We are not here to say who is right or who is wrong, we are here to pray, to meet one another, to be enlightened in order to enlighten our faithful. The message from Pope Francis is very clear, he urges political leaders to find a way of peace and construction”: with these words Bishop Mario Moronta of the Venezuelan diocese of San Cristobal, addressed a group of lay people, religious and priests who had gathered with him yesterday to pray for Venezuela and to discern, in the light of God’s Word, the situation of the country.
According to a report sent to Fides, the participants at the encounter included the bishop emeritus of Mérida, Bishop Luis Alfonso Marquez, members of youth pastoral , lay Catholics from various parishes, chaplains and members of offices for pastoral care. The greater part of the meeting was devoted to prayer. There followed the proclamation of some passages of the Word of God from which to draw guidance and enlightenment regarding the present situation of the country . The meeting concluded with sharing on the basis of three key words “conversion - hope – commitment”.
As a fruit of this day of discernment, a message will be read out during the Sunday masses in the parishes in the state of Tachira. A prayer meeting with other religious confessions was announced for the first Friday of Lent, 7 March, in the courtyard of San Cristobal Cathedral to promote, "national reconciliation by means of reciprocal forgiveness ", as requested by Pope Francis in his message to Venezuela. (SL) (Agenzia Fides 28/02/2014)
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals
- 2015-08-07 - There are 10,000 participants attending the III Youth National Meeting
- 2015-08-06 - National meeting among the indigenous communities for the protection of human rights
- 2015-07-21 - The body of a Franciscan who died a few days has been found
- 2015-07-20 - Games, songs, dances: a feast to celebrate children
- 2015-07-10 - Catholic Bishops: "The Christian experience must have social consequences"
- 2015-07-07 - Mgr. Padrón: "Corruption, repression, popular discontent characterize the present"
- 2015-07-06 - 35,000 people have been isolated due to floods, other 25,000 at risk
- 2015-06-22 - Hunger strike in 12 states for political prisoners, the Church has been asked to intervene