AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - Nigeria is still shocked after the killing of more than 40 students in a dormitory of the government run Buni-Yadi college in the north eastern state of Yobe, during the night of 25 February. The assailants, probably members of the Islamic sect Boko Haram, spared the girls but set fire to the dormitory where the boys were sleeping. Those trying to escape were killed in cold blood.
Attempting to give a sign of commitment to the general public, the Nigerian Senate has ordered army chief of staff Major General Kenneth Minimah, to move his office temporarily to Maiduguri, capital of Borno state, one of the three states with Yobe and Adamawa where a state of emergency was imposed in May 2013 to facilitate the task of the armed forces to hunt down Boko Haram.
The Nigerian Senate has also charged Major General Minimah to tighten security measures in schools in areas of Boko Haram violence, which has caused thousands to flee to neighbouring Niger, where the situation is very precarious. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/2/2014
- 2014-03-11 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: over 500 Catholics killed and 20 churches and priests houses destroyed since 2009
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "we will hit the Nigeria oil region"
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The latest massacre of civilians unfortunately does not surprise me" says the Archbishop of Jos to Fides
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "No imposition of secular values in Africa," said the Archbishop of Jos
- 2014-02-05 AFRICA/NIGERIA – 80 people killed in the last 24 hours due to violence in four Nigerian states
- 2014-01-29 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram: "military response alone does not solve anything", says Cardinal Onaiyekan
- 2014-01-28 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Boko Haram attacks northern Nigeria, also a Catholic church was attacked
- 2013-11-25 AFRICA/NIGERIA - Cardinal Onaiyekan’s prudence on the news of Christian women abducted by Boko Haram and forcibly converted to Islam
- 2013-11-22 AFRICA/NIGERIA - "The existence of many Pentecostal churches is no impediment to the evangelization mission of the Catholic Church", said Cardinal Onaiyekan