AFRICA/NIGERIA - “Move army command to epicentre of Boko Haram violence” Nigerian Senate orders
Abuja (Agenzia Fides) - Nigeria is still shocked after the killing of more than 40 students in a dormitory of the government run Buni-Yadi college in the north eastern state of Yobe, during the night of 25 February. The assailants, probably members of the Islamic sect Boko Haram, spared the girls but set fire to the dormitory where the boys were sleeping. Those trying to escape were killed in cold blood.
Attempting to give a sign of commitment to the general public, the Nigerian Senate has ordered army chief of staff Major General Kenneth Minimah, to move his office temporarily to Maiduguri, capital of Borno state, one of the three states with Yobe and Adamawa where a state of emergency was imposed in May 2013 to facilitate the task of the armed forces to hunt down Boko Haram.
The Nigerian Senate has also charged Major General Minimah to tighten security measures in schools in areas of Boko Haram violence, which has caused thousands to flee to neighbouring Niger, where the situation is very precarious. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/2/2014
- 2015-11-18 - New attack in the northeast while the President denounces: "the army sabotaged by corruption"
- 2015-11-12 - Bishop of Maiduguri's appeal: "We need concrete help for displaced people affected by Boko Haram"
- 2015-10-22 - Fresh attacks by Boko Haram, US intensifies military assistance to threatened countries
- 2015-09-28 - Bishops: "Need to diversify the economy in order to avoid our young people to migrate to Europe"
- 2015-09-23 - Despite the attacks, the displaced return to Maiduguri; 3 priests ordained in a community ransacked by Boko Haram
- 2015-09-17 - 60% of children are victims of abuse and violence of all kinds
- 2015-09-10 - Another priest kidnapped; more and more religious victims of road ambushes
- 2015-09-02 - Bishops support President Buhari's campaign against corruption
- 2015-08-17 - Claretian Missionary priest killed in road ambush
- 2015-07-16 - "If Boko Haram succeed in cutting us off from the other part of Nigeria, Maiduguri is doomed"