AMERICA/PERU’ - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
Callao (Agenzia Fides) – They are all little inhabitants of a shanty town around Puerto Nuevo, in the district of Callao, Peru, who live situations at risk, day in day out, contaminated by lead, because of environmental damaging storage and transport of the mineral to the sea port. ANS (Salesian information agency) reports that in the outskirts of the city, the Foundation Don Bosco in the World has embarked on a special education project named “Niños de Plomo” (leaden children) to enable 80 children and adolescents poisoned by lead to receive coaching in reading, interpersonal-communication, logical arithmetic as well as psych-pedagogical assistance. Means of learning include the computer room with virtual games and programmes to encourage reasoning. There are music and dance workshops to improve the children’s physical, mental and emotional development. Most of the minors taking part in the project have levels of lead in their blood between 10 and 19.9 micrograms per decilitre, a measure considered highly dangerous by the health authorities. (AP) (27/2/2014 Agenzia Fides)
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas
- 2014-04-02 - More than 600 former child workers have started school in the province of Chiclayo