AMERICA/PERU’ - “Ninos de plomo” Children of Lead: education programme for mineral contaminated minors
Callao (Agenzia Fides) – They are all little inhabitants of a shanty town around Puerto Nuevo, in the district of Callao, Peru, who live situations at risk, day in day out, contaminated by lead, because of environmental damaging storage and transport of the mineral to the sea port. ANS (Salesian information agency) reports that in the outskirts of the city, the Foundation Don Bosco in the World has embarked on a special education project named “Niños de Plomo” (leaden children) to enable 80 children and adolescents poisoned by lead to receive coaching in reading, interpersonal-communication, logical arithmetic as well as psych-pedagogical assistance. Means of learning include the computer room with virtual games and programmes to encourage reasoning. There are music and dance workshops to improve the children’s physical, mental and emotional development. Most of the minors taking part in the project have levels of lead in their blood between 10 and 19.9 micrograms per decilitre, a measure considered highly dangerous by the health authorities. (AP) (27/2/2014 Agenzia Fides)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking