AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – A call to the Muslim community in the country to work together with Christians for peace in South Sudan has been launched by Bishop Paride Taban, emeritus Bishop of Torit, also chairman of the South Sudan Council of Churches. South Sudan is devastated by fighting between the two wings of the Sudan Peoples Liberation Movement ( SPLM, the governing party), led respectively by President Salva Kiir and by former Vice President Riek Machar.
According to the Sudan Catholic Radio Network, at an interreligious meeting to discuss the situation in the country, Bishop Taban urged the Muslims of South Sudan to be ambassadors of peace and to work together with the local Christians to restore calm.
The representative of the Muslim community of south Sudan, Jaafar Karim Juma, responded positively and promised that the Muslims will work to promote peace in the country.
The South Sudan Council of Churches comprises 6 Christian confessions present in South Sudan: the Catholic Church, the Episcopal Church of the Sudan, the Presbyterian Church of Sudan, the African Inland Church, the Sudan Pentecostal Church, and the Sudan Interior Church.
In the meantime, rebels loyal to former vice president Riek Machar have announced that they will continue armed resistance until President Salva Kiir steps down. Humanitarian organisations operating in the country accuse both sides of committing atrocities against civilians, including the killing of hospital patients. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 27/2/2014)
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"
- 2014-03-11 - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 - New round of peace talks in South Sudan