AMERICA/COLOMBIA - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – The secretary general of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Colombia, Bishop José Daniel Falla Robles, auxiliary of Cali, has called on all Colombians to unite in prayer and solidarity with the people of Venezuela and he also urged the leaders of that country to listen to the needs of the people. A report sent to Fides by the Bishops’ Conference quoted Bishop Falla Robles, stressing the urgency to safeguard the unity and fraternity which have always marked the history of the two countries.
Bishop Falla Robles underlined that precisely because of the bonds of fraternity which exist between Colombia and Venezuela “we cannot be indifferent to the situation in which our Venezuelan brothers and sisters are living, they are blood of our blood ". The Bishop affirmed that Colombians will continue to pray for the safeguarding of democracy and the return of tranquillity in the sister-nation.
Demonstrations, acts of violence in recent days in various cities of Venezuela (see Fides 15/02/2014) directly touched Colombia, when Colombian citizens were deported from the neighbouring country (see Fides 24/02/2014), giving rise to initiatives to promote peace in Venezuela. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 27/02/2014)
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation
- 2015-09-11 - Week of Peace: Colombians want a date for talks with the ELN
- 2015-09-07 - The Bishop of Cucuta marches in defense of the rights of Colombians
- 2015-09-03 - Meeting of the Bishops of Colombia and Venezuela on the border area crisis
- 2015-09-03 - Dengue haemorrhagic fever affects children in Huila
- 2015-08-20 - Pope Francis: a delegate of the Holy See in the peace process
- 2015-08-13 - Consolidating REDPAM Catholic Pan-Amazon church network
- 2015-08-12 - “Let the people speak about mining activity”, Bishops’ statement
- 2015-07-31 - Day of Protest against human trafficking: child soldiers still used by FARC