AMERICA/COLOMBIA - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
Cali (Agenzia Fides) – The secretary general of the Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Colombia, Bishop José Daniel Falla Robles, auxiliary of Cali, has called on all Colombians to unite in prayer and solidarity with the people of Venezuela and he also urged the leaders of that country to listen to the needs of the people. A report sent to Fides by the Bishops’ Conference quoted Bishop Falla Robles, stressing the urgency to safeguard the unity and fraternity which have always marked the history of the two countries.
Bishop Falla Robles underlined that precisely because of the bonds of fraternity which exist between Colombia and Venezuela “we cannot be indifferent to the situation in which our Venezuelan brothers and sisters are living, they are blood of our blood ". The Bishop affirmed that Colombians will continue to pray for the safeguarding of democracy and the return of tranquillity in the sister-nation.
Demonstrations, acts of violence in recent days in various cities of Venezuela (see Fides 15/02/2014) directly touched Colombia, when Colombian citizens were deported from the neighbouring country (see Fides 24/02/2014), giving rise to initiatives to promote peace in Venezuela. (CE) (Agenzia Fides, 27/02/2014)
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"