AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
Bamako (Agenzia Fides) – In Mali some 136,000 children are severely undernourished , a pathology which registers high mortality rates, and another 360,000 are moderately undernourished According to latest reports issued by the United Nation’s Children’s Fund, without adequate food-aid to Mali, some 50,000 children could perish before the end of 2014. To prevent or at least limit this human tragedy, the UN recently launched a new aid plan to distribute doses of concentrated nutritive food able to reanimate an undernourished child rapidly and effectively. The humanitarian plan aims to improve access to basic social services in the sectors of health, schooling, food security and sanitation. The target is to assist the most vulnerable: internally displaced persons, persons in assistance centres and repatriates, and also to limit the food crisis consequences by promoting and supporting local farming . A total 3 million people suffer from food insecurity, mainly in north Mali, because of conflict inside the country and the occupation of this area by outlawed armed groups. Warfare has caused the displacement , inside the country and across neighbouring borders, of more than half a million people, heightening the crisis in central and south Mali. (AP) (26/2/2014 Agenzia Fides)
AFRICA/MALI – MORE THAN 3 MILLION SUFFER FOOD SHORTAGE, SOME 50,000 COULD STARVE TO DEATH BEFORE THE END OF 2014
- 2015-05-25 - Despite the latest violence, one hopes in the talks in Algiers in order to reach peace
- 2015-05-06 - President of the Episcopal Conference:"Mali wants peace, Muslims have suffered the violence of the jihadists"
- 2015-03-09 - The attack on the UN base in Kidal and the bombing in Bamako committed by the same group
- 2014-11-25 - Other kidnappings of children in a climate of instability due to the presence of armed groups
- 2014-11-21 - AFRICA/MALI – Ebola: annual pilgrimage postponed
- 2014-10-06 - "It is necessary to stabilize the south of Libya in order to stop the attacks in Mali", said the Secretary of the Bishops' Conference
- 2014-02-26 - AFRICA/MALI – More than 3 million suffer food shortage, some 50,000 could starve to death before the end of 2014
- 2013-09-06 - The challenges of the new leadership: National reconciliation, fight against corruption, the re-launch of economy
- 2013-08-05 - In view of the run-off Caritas Mali proposes some measures to improve the electoral process
- 2013-08-01 - Caritas: "The population of Mali has demonstrated with the vote its attachment to the institutions"