AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – A group of young people at Bangui University, under the guidance of local Jesuit Fathers, continues to keep the doors of the college open despite extreme violence and political disorder which has affected the Central African Republic since last year. According to a report sent to Fides from the Jesuit Generalate, spiralling violence has uprooted more than 935,000 people in many parts of the country, in the capital alone there are some half a million displaced persons. In recent weeks mosques and churches were torched and dead bodies seen abandoned in the streets. From the point of view of safety the situation has seriously deteriorated.
The campus of Bangui University is deserted . Although the CIEE Centre for Information, Education and Counselling run by the Jesuits as part of the Catholic University Centre Centro is unable to reorganise campus activities , the team is ready to start again: " the main office of the Centre has never closed. Work goes ahead but not with the same speed as in normal times ", says CIEE coordinator, Pierre Yéra Boubane, S.J. All through 2013 the CIEE continued to offer at least a minimum service, providing planned seminars for students and courses on education. And even now, surrounded by chaos, CIEE is ready with new initiatives to launch a massive new campaign just as soon as the situation improves . (SL) (Agenzia Fides 26/02/2014)
- 2014-08-18 - The Archbishop of Bangui to politicians "stop the suffering of the people as soon as possible"
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence
- 2014-06-04 - New attacks against medical facilities and teams who work in Ndélé
- 2014-05-30 - The attack on Our Lady of Fatima parish in which a priest was killed was carried out by foreigners