AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) – A group of young people at Bangui University, under the guidance of local Jesuit Fathers, continues to keep the doors of the college open despite extreme violence and political disorder which has affected the Central African Republic since last year. According to a report sent to Fides from the Jesuit Generalate, spiralling violence has uprooted more than 935,000 people in many parts of the country, in the capital alone there are some half a million displaced persons. In recent weeks mosques and churches were torched and dead bodies seen abandoned in the streets. From the point of view of safety the situation has seriously deteriorated.
The campus of Bangui University is deserted . Although the CIEE Centre for Information, Education and Counselling run by the Jesuits as part of the Catholic University Centre Centro is unable to reorganise campus activities , the team is ready to start again: " the main office of the Centre has never closed. Work goes ahead but not with the same speed as in normal times ", says CIEE coordinator, Pierre Yéra Boubane, S.J. All through 2013 the CIEE continued to offer at least a minimum service, providing planned seminars for students and courses on education. And even now, surrounded by chaos, CIEE is ready with new initiatives to launch a massive new campaign just as soon as the situation improves . (SL) (Agenzia Fides 26/02/2014)
AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – WORK GOES ON AT BANGUI UNIVERSITY DESPITE CHAOS
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-03-26 - Caritas Bangui distributes aid to the displaced Muslims in Mbaiki
- 2015-03-03 - Archbishop of Bangui visits two militia leaders in prison
- 2015-02-24 - “Our country can be compared to a desert, where we must combat the temptations of the devil” says Archbishop Nzapalainga