AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
Yirol (Agenzia Fides) – War is making it ever more difficult to help mothers and infants in need. Caring for the most vulnerable is the constant commitment of Medici Africa Cuamm in the martyred land of South Sudan. The first hospital was opened here in 2006 in Yirol and then a second hospital at Lui. Today more than ever after the explosion of tension between loyalist troops and rebels, the priority for intervention remain hospital service and assistance to people forced from their homes, the displaced. In the field, despite the scarcity of means, medical doctors and volunteers seek to meet the emergency offering the local people a clear sign of closeness and sharing .(AP) (25/2/2014 Agenzia Fides
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia