AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Christian is the first woman elected to lead a political party in Egypt
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – Coptic Orthodox Christian, Hala Shukrallah, elected head of the Constitution Party, is the first woman leader of a political party in Egypt. Hala Shukrallah succeeds Nobel Mohamed El Baradei, who in April 2012 formed the Constitution Party presenting it as an “inclusive” reality, aimed at earning consensus among young Egyptians overcoming the contraposition of “religious” and “secular” political groups.
Aged 59, leftist sociologist who reached social-democratic positions , Shukrallah, in 2006, participated in the foundation of the Movement of Egyptians against Discrimination. In her first statements, the newly elected Party leader of the Constitution Party, expressed little enthusiasm for the insistence on the part of the media that she is the “first woman and first Coptic Christian” to lead a political Party. Shukrallah said that in her opinion this insistence could induce people to focus only on the label preventing them from “considering the contents of what is being said”. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/2/2104).
- 2014-03-06 AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic politician Shukrallah: what worries me is the possible return of the military to power
- 2014-03-01 AFRICA/EGYPT - 62nd Catholic Festival of Egyptian Cinema opening ceremony
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/EGYPT – New rules for election of Orthodox Coptic Pope examined by civil authorities
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/LYBIA - “These extremists are shedding innocent blood to get more visibility” says Archbishop Martinelli
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Christian is the first woman elected to lead a political party in Egypt
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/EGYPT - Bishop Kyrillos: positive analysis for the first year of the National Council of Churches
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/EGYPT - Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church on the rules for the election of the Patriarch
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/EGYPT - Patriarch Tawadros to the European Union: help Egypt
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/EGYPT - Bishop Zaki: Christian churches pray together for the future of the Country
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/EGYPT - Al-Sisi to run for President. Bishop Fahim Hanna: he has the support of the people, but the Church does not take sides