AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Christian is the first woman elected to lead a political party in Egypt
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – Coptic Orthodox Christian, Hala Shukrallah, elected head of the Constitution Party, is the first woman leader of a political party in Egypt. Hala Shukrallah succeeds Nobel Mohamed El Baradei, who in April 2012 formed the Constitution Party presenting it as an “inclusive” reality, aimed at earning consensus among young Egyptians overcoming the contraposition of “religious” and “secular” political groups.
Aged 59, leftist sociologist who reached social-democratic positions , Shukrallah, in 2006, participated in the foundation of the Movement of Egyptians against Discrimination. In her first statements, the newly elected Party leader of the Constitution Party, expressed little enthusiasm for the insistence on the part of the media that she is the “first woman and first Coptic Christian” to lead a political Party. Shukrallah said that in her opinion this insistence could induce people to focus only on the label preventing them from “considering the contents of what is being said”. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/2/2104).
- 2015-09-02 - New investigations into the case of Mariam, the Coptic student discriminated
- 2015-08-28 - The Coptic Church: the life of the Country depends on the "good health" of the Nile
- 2015-07-23 - President al-Sisi decrees that even church buildings and mosques shall soon pay for electricity
- 2015-07-22 - A law is being requested against conversions of Christian minors without parental consent
- 2015-07-21 - The Council of Christian Churches convenes a day of prayer on the anniversary of the 1952 "Revolution"
- 2015-07-15 - Patriarch Tawadros withdraws the complaint against the militants of the "38 Copts" association
- 2015-07-07 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II meets the priests' wives
- 2015-07-06 - The Coptic Church of Saints Anthony and Paul distributes food to the poor Muslims for Ramadan
- 2015-07-02 - The Coptic Church after the jihadist attacks in Sinai: we are on the side of the military fighting "evil forces"
- 2015-06-30 - Condolences of the Council of Christian Churches for the assassination of Attorney General