AFRICA/EGYPT - Coptic Orthodox Christian is the first woman elected to lead a political party in Egypt
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) – Coptic Orthodox Christian, Hala Shukrallah, elected head of the Constitution Party, is the first woman leader of a political party in Egypt. Hala Shukrallah succeeds Nobel Mohamed El Baradei, who in April 2012 formed the Constitution Party presenting it as an “inclusive” reality, aimed at earning consensus among young Egyptians overcoming the contraposition of “religious” and “secular” political groups.
Aged 59, leftist sociologist who reached social-democratic positions , Shukrallah, in 2006, participated in the foundation of the Movement of Egyptians against Discrimination. In her first statements, the newly elected Party leader of the Constitution Party, expressed little enthusiasm for the insistence on the part of the media that she is the “first woman and first Coptic Christian” to lead a political Party. Shukrallah said that in her opinion this insistence could induce people to focus only on the label preventing them from “considering the contents of what is being said”. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 24/2/2104).
- 2014-09-19 - The army rebuilds a Catholic school devastated by Islamists in Beni Suef
- 2014-07-24 - AFRICA/EGYPT – There is no Christian in St. Anthony Abate’s hometown
- 2014-07-17 - A bill to ensure and regulate the construction of churches is being studied
- 2014-07-16 - Patriarch Tawadros II: the Bishops do not express support for candidates or political parties in elections
- 2014-07-08 - Sisi
- 2014-06-20 - Activist for Human Rights calls for the dissolution of the Salafist Party
- 2014-06-09 - New President al-Sisi enhances the role of the Coptic Church in the past and present of the nation
- 2014-05-30 - Sisi triumphs in presidential elections; Copt Catholic Bishop of Guizeh contests voices on low turnout
- 2014-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros : let us all go and vote to elect the new President
- 2014-05-16 - Coptic Orthodox Patriarchate: priests must not make electoral propaganda