AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Let's fulfill the aspirations of those who fought for the independence of building a more just Country
Lusaka (Agenzia Fides) - Fifty years after national independence it is necessary to free the Country from poverty and injustice. This is the meaning of the message, sent to Fides Agency, published by The "Oasis Forum", an association for civil rights with the participation of the main Christian denominations in Zambia (Zambia Episcopal Conference, Christian Council of Zambia, Evangelical Fellowship of Zambia), on the occasion of the fiftieth anniversary of the Country’s independence.
"It is difficult to see the joy of the Jubilee year in Zambia, when so many of our people, including our dear freedom fighters, are wallowing in abject poverty and being subjected to fear and intimidation by their own leaders", the document states.
"We appreciate the many sacrifices made by our gallant freedom fighters, and surely salute them for paying a high price in order to gain us the hard-won Independence. In fact, these patriotic men and women had a vision to build a nation in which all citizens would enjoy freedom not only from colonial oppression, but also from hunger, poverty, curable diseases, every form of injustice and exploitation".
The "Oasis Forum - continues the message - strongly believes that the best way to honor our national heroes is to put in place a new constitutional order that will ensure that their noble aspirations of having a free, prosperous and democratic Zambia". "We are not opposed to genuine Golden Jubilee celebration, however, we should never forget that having mere ceremonial celebrations just for the sake of celebrating is not worthwhile", concludes the text. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 21/02/2014)
AFRICA/ZAMBIA – LET'S FULFILL THE ASPIRATIONS OF THOSE WHO FOUGHT FOR THE INDEPENDENCE OF BUILDING A MORE JUST COUNTRY
- 2014-10-23 - The Church's contribution to the growth of the nation after 50 years of independence
- 2014-10-13 - "We are greatly concerned about the well-being of the President" say civil society
- 2014-04-08 - Almost 40% of infant mortality rate is due to malaria
- 2014-03-10 - Support to give strength to the women of Chisitu
- 2014-02-21 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Let's fulfill the aspirations of those who fought for the independence of building a more just Country
- 2014-01-25 - Bishops: "Respect democracy"
- 2014-01-09 - After 50 years of independence a proper Constitution focused on popular sovereignty is needed
- 2013-10-02 - "Do we still have a functioning state? " Asks Caritas
- 2013-09-16 - The right to a better education, better teachers and beautiful classrooms
- 2013-08-31 - AFRICA/ZAMBIA – Death of Cardinal Mazombwe, Archbishop Emeritus of Lusaka