AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Cardinal Urosa to the government: "dialogue that recognizes the country's problems "
Caracas (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Jorge Urosa Savino, Archbishop of Caracas, urged President Nicolas Maduro to recognize the serious problems of the country, given the wave of protests that have caused deaths and injuries.
Expressing satisfaction over the fact that the government is open to dialogue with the opposition, the Cardinal, however, stressed the need for it to recognize the difficulties Venezuelans live with.
"Dialogue would be a big step, but then you need to recognize that there are many serious problems to be solved in the country, and the solution is in the hands of the national government", said the Cardinal according to the note sent to Fides Agency by a local source. "The greatest responsibility belongs to those who have more power, so it is the government which must take action", said Urosa Savino.
The Cardinal cited a recent statement by the Venezuelan Episcopal Conference (CEV) in which the Bishops urged the government to face the "just demands and requirements " of the students who are protesting. He then recalled that the right to demonstrate is enshrined in the Constitution, while emphasizing that "demonstrations must be peaceful, and when you want to take action to stop them, it must not be done in an extreme manner". (see Fides 14/02/2014).
Even today there are outbreaks of violence in different cities of the country. The Church, through priests and Bishops, continues to call for calm and non-violence, but the increase of young people on the streets seems to be an invitation to express even more strongly against the government and the National Guard. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 21/02/2014)
- 2014-10-28 - Cardinal Urosa Savino: "Respect for political prisoners"
- 2014-10-21 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – May Saint John Paul II accompany Venezuela in the paths of peace and justice
- 2014-10-01 - "Division is not from God": in march for peace and unity of the country
- 2014-09-30 - Violence in the country does not decrease: a military chaplain killed
- 2014-09-27 - "Do not be afraid of peace" Pope Francis’ letter to Venezuela
- 2014-09-16 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Laity meet apostolic Nuncio, a tradition which encourages the unity of the Church
- 2014-08-12 - "Commit to a missionary cooperation", the V National Missionary Congress has concluded
- 2014-08-06 - The V National Missionary Congress begins
- 2014-07-14 - "Give teachers their salaries": church’s appeal in favor of teachers
- 2014-07-12 - "It is impossible to find a solution if you do not listen to the people", say the Bishops