AMERICA/PARAGUAY - Half a million child laborers, exploited in activities which are dangerous to health and safety
Cateura (Agenzia Fides) - In Paraguay, in 2013, over 416 thousand boys, girls and adolescents were employed and engaged in very risky jobs. This is what is reported to Fides Agency by the "Encuesta Nacional de actividades de niños, niñas y adolescentes", released by the International Program for the Eradication of Child Labour (IPEC) of the International Labour Organization (ILO) and the Directorate General of Statistics, Research and Census (DGEEC). One of the most dangerous activities is the collection of waste and recyclable materials. Among the recent cases registered in the city of Cateura completely built on a landfill, is that of children who continue to work in these places, rummaging through the garbage looking for recyclable products and thus jeopardize their health, safety, and their own life. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 21/02/2014)
- 2015-07-20 - "Why are we so inhuman towards each other?" Asks Mgr. Gimenez denouncing violence
- 2015-06-18 - AMERICA/PARAGUAY – Urgent need to eradicate child labor, which is dangerous and harmful to physical and mental development
- 2015-05-15 - Archbishop Valenzuela Mellid: "We all have to be responsible in carrying out our duties"
- 2015-05-07 - The Church condemns the criminal violence that killed three people and a politician
- 2015-04-27 - Indigenous people live in poverty but maintain their traditions
- 2015-03-04 - The appeal of 450 thousand working children: "We do not want to be exploited"
- 2014-12-09 - On the feast day of Our Lady of Caacupé bishop denounces corruption and drug trafficking
- 2014-12-04 - Paraguayan Missionaries join fellow Paraguayans in Argentina to celebrate Our Lady of Caacupé
- 2014-12-01 - Novena to Our Lady of Caacupé, opportunity to reflect on the rights of the defenseless and the responsibilities of politicians
- 2014-11-25 - The Church is not discouraged because of the drug trade, it will continue to fight for justice and peace