AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger
La Guajira (Agenzia Fides) - The health and nutritional status of children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu, of the peninsula of La Guajira, in the Caribbean Sea, continue to always be very precarious. Despite the food support program "De cero a siempre" young guajiros continue to suffer hunger and when they are hit by dysentery or suffer from low sugar level they are entrusted to the care of "Piache" community healers who limit themselves to administering them roots, bark, flowers and purely natural remedies that do nothing but worsen the health condition of the victims. According to information sent to Fides Agency, last December over a thousand boxes of expired milk for the children in Guajira were found, which were part of the Program. In the meantime, the natives of La Guajira continue to wait for food aid and to bury their children who die of hunger. The people in Guajira live in the territories between Colombia and Venezuela. (AP) (Agenzia Fides 20/02/2014)
- 2015-06-24 - Latin American Religious give their full support and unreserved commitment for Peace in Colombia
- 2015-06-17 - Silent march in Tumaco: after 60 years of violence it is now time to form "a truly civilized society"
- 2015-06-10 - The inhabitants of port of Buenaventura subjected to "collective torture"
- 2015-06-09 - Human trafficking, new areopagus of consecrated life in Latin America
- 2015-05-26 - "Stop deaths! An agreement has to be reached as soon as possible", asks Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2015-05-22 - In the tragedy a light of life: the funeral of 33 of the 84 deaths due to the landslide in Salgar
- 2015-05-07 - Children recruited by the FARC: they are prisoners and infected with the human papilloma virus
- 2015-05-04 - Talks resume for peace, despite the incidents and the distrust of the Colombians
- 2015-04-22 - The Episcopal Council for Peace analyzes the situation of the talks
- 2015-04-21 - Emergency for violence and attacks against minors