AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Peace talks between the two rival factions: the government and the rebels, are expected to resume today in the Ethiopian capital Addis Ababa, in spite of the fighting involving Malakal, provincial capital of the oil-producing State, Upper Nile. The military situation is still very confusing, as the two sides accuse the other of violating the January 23 ceasefire reached on January 23.
In a statement His Exc. Mgr. Charles Daniel Balvo, Apostolic Nuncio, stressed that civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations. "If there is to be a permanent solution to the problems of South Sudanese, the civil society needs to be involved not just negotiations on the government level, but also the civil society", said the Nuncio. "I know some of the representatives went on their own to Addis Ababa in Ethiopia recently for the peace talks, but they should be actively involved always".
Mgr. Balvo noted that the Church is doing a lot to help the people in South Sudan but added that "it is very hard to promote and create a society with generations of people that all they have known is violence". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 20/02/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia