AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – The south Sudanese government and rebels loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar, have been fighting since February 18. According to information gathered by Fides Agency, a rebels spokesman said that Machar 's forces have taken full control of the city of Malakal, but the government in Juba has denied this, but admitted that some central areas of Malakal have fallen into the hands of rebels. "Fighting is still underway" concluded the spokesman of the government.
According to a military source, cited by "Sudan Tribune", the rebels have better weapons, with which they are now in a position to threaten government tanks, many of which were destroyed in recent fighting. The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) announced that ten civilians who had taken refuge in Malakal were killed. Despite the clashes, peace talks between representatives of the government in Juba and those of the rebels planned for today, February 19, in Addis Ababa have not been postponed. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/02/2014)
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau
- 2015-03-11 - The suffering of the population will increase with the war; the Church is making huge efforts
- 2015-03-10 - The civil war is likely to resume after the failure of Negotiations
- 2015-02-26 - A simple ambulance service can save the lives of hundreds of mothers and children
- 2015-02-19 - Elections postponed: a contribution towards peace
- 2015-02-10 - The UN: over 2.5 million people face food emergency because of the civil war
- 2015-02-04 - Year of Consecrated Life: Religious committed to healing the wounds of the Civil War
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees