AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – The south Sudanese government and rebels loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar, have been fighting since February 18. According to information gathered by Fides Agency, a rebels spokesman said that Machar 's forces have taken full control of the city of Malakal, but the government in Juba has denied this, but admitted that some central areas of Malakal have fallen into the hands of rebels. "Fighting is still underway" concluded the spokesman of the government.
According to a military source, cited by "Sudan Tribune", the rebels have better weapons, with which they are now in a position to threaten government tanks, many of which were destroyed in recent fighting. The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) announced that ten civilians who had taken refuge in Malakal were killed. Despite the clashes, peace talks between representatives of the government in Juba and those of the rebels planned for today, February 19, in Addis Ababa have not been postponed. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/02/2014)
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN – School instruction during emergency situations a basic humanitarian necessity
- 2015-07-17 - "We must start again from scratch", says the Bishop Emeritus of Juba
- 2015-07-10 - New peace initiative announced by the Church on the anniversary of independence
- 2015-07-09 - Violence and insecurity in the camps where refugees fleeing the civil war are welcomed
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders