AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
Juba (Agenzia Fides) – The south Sudanese government and rebels loyal to former Vice President Riek Machar, have been fighting since February 18. According to information gathered by Fides Agency, a rebels spokesman said that Machar 's forces have taken full control of the city of Malakal, but the government in Juba has denied this, but admitted that some central areas of Malakal have fallen into the hands of rebels. "Fighting is still underway" concluded the spokesman of the government.
According to a military source, cited by "Sudan Tribune", the rebels have better weapons, with which they are now in a position to threaten government tanks, many of which were destroyed in recent fighting. The UN Mission in South Sudan (UNMISS) announced that ten civilians who had taken refuge in Malakal were killed. Despite the clashes, peace talks between representatives of the government in Juba and those of the rebels planned for today, February 19, in Addis Ababa have not been postponed. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 19/02/2014)
- 2014-03-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New round of peace talks in South Sudan
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - Despite the truce, clashes continue: aid, medicines and therapeutic food are needed
- 2014-02-01 AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - The Bishops: "Do not exclude the Church and civil society from peace talks"