AMERICA/PERU - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - "A participated and technical debate, which has the purpose to consider Universities as places where one can ensure growth and human fulfillment, but respecting their autonomy and other rights and guarantees recognized by our Constitution. The Bishops' Conference reaffirms its commitment to contributing to this debate": is the exhortation of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference, whose text was sent to Fides Agency, on the proposed reform of the university system in the country.
The Peruvian Bishops, gathered for their 103rd Ordinary General Assembly, wanted to speak about the reform because the University bill involves most of the youth of the country, furthermore the Catholic Church not only "actively participated in the establishment of the universities", but "for more than four centuries to the present day, is committed to the integral education of millions of Peruvians in schools, colleges and universities, throughout the territory of Peru". Peru is the Latin American country with the highest number of universities, which receive many students coming from other countries.
The proposal of the new university law should be debated in Parliament in March. One point which is creating contrast is the creation of a "Superintendencia Nacional de Educacion Universitaria" to which all universities must refer. The proposal has provoked the reaction of political and university groups, who see it as a violation of political, administrative and academic autonomy. The Federation of University Students of Peru has asked to postpone the discussion in order to clarify the bill. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/02/2014)
- 2015-02-05 - In August, the beatification of three missionaries killed: the first martyrs of the diocese and Peru
- 2015-02-04 - The three missionaries killed in 1991 will be beatified because they were close to the poorest
- 2015-01-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote asks protection for judges: "We are living in fear"
- 2015-01-22 - Mgr. Salvador Piñeiro re-elected President of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-19 - Missionary Father Bachs has died, defender of the right to education of young people in need
- 2014-12-16 - Climate change: Christians in defense of the weak and of their suffering
- 2014-12-13 - Analysis of the socio-cultural impacts of mining and contribution of missionaries
- 2014-12-03 - COP 20: world meeting for climatic justice, churches together to care for creation
- 2014-11-15 - "Network for a Culture of meeting", also Cusco present at the XIII Meeting of RIIAL
- 2014-11-05 - The Bishops are always close to the 3 and a half million Peruvians away from home