AMERICA/PERU - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - "A participated and technical debate, which has the purpose to consider Universities as places where one can ensure growth and human fulfillment, but respecting their autonomy and other rights and guarantees recognized by our Constitution. The Bishops' Conference reaffirms its commitment to contributing to this debate": is the exhortation of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference, whose text was sent to Fides Agency, on the proposed reform of the university system in the country.
The Peruvian Bishops, gathered for their 103rd Ordinary General Assembly, wanted to speak about the reform because the University bill involves most of the youth of the country, furthermore the Catholic Church not only "actively participated in the establishment of the universities", but "for more than four centuries to the present day, is committed to the integral education of millions of Peruvians in schools, colleges and universities, throughout the territory of Peru". Peru is the Latin American country with the highest number of universities, which receive many students coming from other countries.
The proposal of the new university law should be debated in Parliament in March. One point which is creating contrast is the creation of a "Superintendencia Nacional de Educacion Universitaria" to which all universities must refer. The proposal has provoked the reaction of political and university groups, who see it as a violation of political, administrative and academic autonomy. The Federation of University Students of Peru has asked to postpone the discussion in order to clarify the bill. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/02/2014)
- 2014-08-18 - Killed during their missionary work 23 years ago
- 2014-07-26 - 193 years of independent and Catholic life
- 2014-07-07 - The President receives requests to stop the law on therapeutic abortion
- 2014-07-04 - School conditions for poor Ashaninkas children
- 2014-07-02 - Legislation for therapeutic abortion is "immoral, unconstitutional and illegal"
- 2014-06-23 - Disabled children integrated in public schools in the south-west area of the Country
- 2014-06-13 - Denunciation of the Bishop of Puerto Maldonado for the violent intervention of the police against the miners
- 2014-05-27 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "to link all to criminality is just junk journalism"
- 2014-05-17 - Ceramic workshop in prison, with the help of the local Church
- 2014-04-16 - Small producers of pineapple take a step forward in the domestic market, with the support of Caritas