AMERICA/PERU - "For a participated and technical debate": the Bishops on the university law
Lima (Agenzia Fides) - "A participated and technical debate, which has the purpose to consider Universities as places where one can ensure growth and human fulfillment, but respecting their autonomy and other rights and guarantees recognized by our Constitution. The Bishops' Conference reaffirms its commitment to contributing to this debate": is the exhortation of the Peruvian Episcopal Conference, whose text was sent to Fides Agency, on the proposed reform of the university system in the country.
The Peruvian Bishops, gathered for their 103rd Ordinary General Assembly, wanted to speak about the reform because the University bill involves most of the youth of the country, furthermore the Catholic Church not only "actively participated in the establishment of the universities", but "for more than four centuries to the present day, is committed to the integral education of millions of Peruvians in schools, colleges and universities, throughout the territory of Peru". Peru is the Latin American country with the highest number of universities, which receive many students coming from other countries.
The proposal of the new university law should be debated in Parliament in March. One point which is creating contrast is the creation of a "Superintendencia Nacional de Educacion Universitaria" to which all universities must refer. The proposal has provoked the reaction of political and university groups, who see it as a violation of political, administrative and academic autonomy. The Federation of University Students of Peru has asked to postpone the discussion in order to clarify the bill. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 19/02/2014)
- 2015-11-24 - Preparations are underway for the beatification of the first missionary martyrs of Peru
- 2015-11-16 - Each year leukemia affects the health of 1,200 poor children
- 2015-11-10 - More than 3,000 participants at the III National Missionary Congress: to relaunch the missionary parish
- 2015-11-07 - The program for the beatification of three priests killed in 1991 by the Shining Path presented to Parliament
- 2015-10-30 - Annual report on Indigenous women and girls: victims of violence, atrocities and humiliations
- 2015-10-19 - Share the beauty of consecrated life with a testimony of joy
- 2015-10-07 - The preparation for the beatification of the three missionaries killed in 1991 continues
- 2015-09-24 - Mgr. Piorno to the authorities involved in court proceedings: "The best thing is to resign, for the tranquility of the population"
- 2015-09-08 - The Bishop of Chimbote: "the solution to insecurity is not lynching"
- 2015-09-02 - A month dedicated to combatting human trafficking