ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Forty days for life": Church reinforces its commitment against abortion
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - For the Church in Korea the months of February and March are full of activities, celebrations, meetings for life.
As reported to Fides, in particular the "Committee for Life and Bioethics" within the Bishops Conference is encouraging many pro-life activities. "Forty Days of Prayer for Life" starts on Ash Wednesday, March 5. All the Churches will pray, in particular for the abolition of the "Law on the mother and child’s health" which in 1973 legalized abortion.
In addition, in past days the Bishops held a solemn "Mass for Life" in Myeongdong Cathedral in Seoul, presided over by Mgr. Linus Lee Seong-hyo, President of the "Committee for Life and Bioethics", and concelebrated by the heads of pro-Life Activities of every diocese in Korea. The Mass was attended by over 1,300 faithful who reiterated their commitment to spread throughout society a "culture of life", which starts with the recognition and promotion of the right of the embryo and of the unborn child. Mgr. Lee pointed out how materialism and consumerism have led young people to practice contraception and abortion without any difficulty. This is why we need to multiply efforts to teach young people to understand the dignity of life and the deeper meaning of sexual relationship.
The "Law on the mother and child’s health", article 14, allows abortion in three situations: when the pregnancy is the result of rape or incest; if the fetus has congenital or genetic defects; and when the mother's health is at risk. A review of the legislation, in July 2009, reduced the legal limit within which one can abort from the 28th to 24th week of pregnancy. In Korea, out of a population of about 48.7 million people, the government records about 340,000 abortions a year. According to the Catholic Church, however, the real number is much higher ie about 1.5 million. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 19/02/2014)
- 2014-08-18 - The Bishops: "The hug towards the disabled: the most significant moment of the Pope's visit"
- 2014-07-14 - The site of the Pope's trip to Korea is online
- 2014-06-27 - The Asian Bishops: "The Pope with our young people: an event of grace"
- 2014-06-12 - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
- 2014-05-26 - South Korea invites a group of North Korean Catholics to the Pope's Mass in Seoul
- 2014-05-21 - The Cardinal of Seul visits North Korea
- 2014-04-25 - Annual Workshop of Caritas: Communicate to evangelize
- 2014-03-26 - "Small Christian Communities" instrument of evangelization
- 2014-03-14 - Church and government engaged in the Pope's visit; boom of participants at the Asian Youth Day
- 2014-03-11 - The Bishops: "Korea, rise up in splendor!", the Pope is coming