AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says to Fides Agency Fr. Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary who works in Bozoum in the west of the Central African Republic.
"The behavior of the Anti Balaka varies from area to area. In the provinces where international forces have been deployed (the African MISCA and the French mission Sangaris), like here in Bozoum, the situation is calmer, but the situation is to be followed day by day because tension can rise suddenly" says the missionary.
The Anti Balaka are responsible for the violence against the Muslim population, considered an accomplice of the former Seleka rebels. "The heavy concentration of Seleka in Kaga-Bandoro is a worrying fact " says Fr. Aurelio.
The missionary also reports that the food situation is at risk. "Before leaving Bozoum - says Fr. Aurelio - Seleka destroyed seed stores, so there will be huge problems to start the next harvest. Funds donated by international organizations for food security were also eliminated. The products from abroad (such as oil and soap) were commercialized mostly by Muslims, who were forced to flee, the prices of these products have risen", says the missionary
"An airlift to get food aid to the Country was organized, but this proves that the road that connects the Central African Republic to Cameroon were not made safe, which would be the best way to resolve the issue, because the use of aircraft is very expensive", says the missionary. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2014)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui