AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says to Fides Agency Fr. Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary who works in Bozoum in the west of the Central African Republic.
"The behavior of the Anti Balaka varies from area to area. In the provinces where international forces have been deployed (the African MISCA and the French mission Sangaris), like here in Bozoum, the situation is calmer, but the situation is to be followed day by day because tension can rise suddenly" says the missionary.
The Anti Balaka are responsible for the violence against the Muslim population, considered an accomplice of the former Seleka rebels. "The heavy concentration of Seleka in Kaga-Bandoro is a worrying fact " says Fr. Aurelio.
The missionary also reports that the food situation is at risk. "Before leaving Bozoum - says Fr. Aurelio - Seleka destroyed seed stores, so there will be huge problems to start the next harvest. Funds donated by international organizations for food security were also eliminated. The products from abroad (such as oil and soap) were commercialized mostly by Muslims, who were forced to flee, the prices of these products have risen", says the missionary
"An airlift to get food aid to the Country was organized, but this proves that the road that connects the Central African Republic to Cameroon were not made safe, which would be the best way to resolve the issue, because the use of aircraft is very expensive", says the missionary. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2014)
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?
- 2014-01-23 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The State has collapsed, UN intervention is needed": appeal of the Archbishop of Bangui and the Imam