AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says to Fides Agency Fr. Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary who works in Bozoum in the west of the Central African Republic.
"The behavior of the Anti Balaka varies from area to area. In the provinces where international forces have been deployed (the African MISCA and the French mission Sangaris), like here in Bozoum, the situation is calmer, but the situation is to be followed day by day because tension can rise suddenly" says the missionary.
The Anti Balaka are responsible for the violence against the Muslim population, considered an accomplice of the former Seleka rebels. "The heavy concentration of Seleka in Kaga-Bandoro is a worrying fact " says Fr. Aurelio.
The missionary also reports that the food situation is at risk. "Before leaving Bozoum - says Fr. Aurelio - Seleka destroyed seed stores, so there will be huge problems to start the next harvest. Funds donated by international organizations for food security were also eliminated. The products from abroad (such as oil and soap) were commercialized mostly by Muslims, who were forced to flee, the prices of these products have risen", says the missionary
"An airlift to get food aid to the Country was organized, but this proves that the road that connects the Central African Republic to Cameroon were not made safe, which would be the best way to resolve the issue, because the use of aircraft is very expensive", says the missionary. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2014)
- 2015-01-28 - Caritas: more funds needed for refugees from the Central African Republic
- 2015-01-14 - "Signs of hope but still too much violence, also due to the strong movement of weapons", say the Bishops
- 2015-01-13 - The situation is improving, the Bishops launch a campaign for social cohesion
- 2015-01-07 - Archbishop of Bangui threatened with death while bringing assistance to the displaced
- 2014-12-30 - Archbishop of Bangui pays a visit to former Seleka rebels again
- 2014-12-09 - “Where are you, perpetrator of violence in Central Africa?” demands the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2014-12-04 - Special Mass for peace at Bangui Carmel hosting 4,000 refugees
- 2014-12-02 - The Bishops denounce: "Banditry threatens peace, it seems that some have fun scattering weapons among the population"
- 2014-11-28 - The head of the group that had seized the Polish priest has been released
- 2014-11-27 - The Vicar General of Bouar: "Fr. Mateusz is fine and was released without the use of force"