AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says to Fides Agency Fr. Aurelio Gazzera, a Carmelite missionary who works in Bozoum in the west of the Central African Republic.
"The behavior of the Anti Balaka varies from area to area. In the provinces where international forces have been deployed (the African MISCA and the French mission Sangaris), like here in Bozoum, the situation is calmer, but the situation is to be followed day by day because tension can rise suddenly" says the missionary.
The Anti Balaka are responsible for the violence against the Muslim population, considered an accomplice of the former Seleka rebels. "The heavy concentration of Seleka in Kaga-Bandoro is a worrying fact " says Fr. Aurelio.
The missionary also reports that the food situation is at risk. "Before leaving Bozoum - says Fr. Aurelio - Seleka destroyed seed stores, so there will be huge problems to start the next harvest. Funds donated by international organizations for food security were also eliminated. The products from abroad (such as oil and soap) were commercialized mostly by Muslims, who were forced to flee, the prices of these products have risen", says the missionary
"An airlift to get food aid to the Country was organized, but this proves that the road that connects the Central African Republic to Cameroon were not made safe, which would be the best way to resolve the issue, because the use of aircraft is very expensive", says the missionary. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2014)
- 2014-07-17 - Civil society presents a scheme to lead the country out of the crisis
- 2014-07-11 - "Immediate start of the process of disarmament to ensure safety" ask religious leaders and politicians
- 2014-07-09 - 17 people who sought refuge in the area of the Cathedral in Bambari have been killed
- 2014-07-08 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – The Cathedral in Bambari besieged by rebels
- 2014-07-01 - Twelve thousand refugees in the Cathedral of Bambari, the Bishop's appeal to Fides
- 2014-06-30 - "Civil society organizes itself, but authorities do not always help", says a missionary
- 2014-06-12 - The Archbishop of Bangui brings aid to 600 Muslims fleeing violence
- 2014-06-04 - New attacks against medical facilities and teams who work in Ndélé
- 2014-05-30 - The attack on Our Lady of Fatima parish in which a priest was killed was carried out by foreigners
- 2014-05-12 - "We are in an open-pit prison held hostage by violent people" denounce the Bishops