ASIA/SYRIA - Muslim leader of the opposition: immediately release all the Christians kidnapped
Geneva (Agenzia Fides) - Sheikh Mohammad Abdel- Hady al- Yaaqubi, Islamic scholar and member of the Syrian opposition present at the Geneva 2 talks, called upon "all Islamic militants to immediately release all those who are unjustly detained against their will, especially the innocent bishops, nuns and monks". Al Yaaqubi strongly emphasized that acts of violence and abuses against innocent people "do not reflect the values of Islam".
The statements were issued in past days by the scholar during a press conference followed by the meeting that some members of the Syrian anti- Assad opposition had in Geneva with the Norwegian and Lutheran theologian pastor Olav Fykse Tveit, general Secretary of the World Council of Churches. During the talks with the Syrian guests, Dr. Tveit called for prayers for peace in Syria. "We as religious leaders have to carry the hope that miracles are possible and that there will be peace. If we are not doing this, who will?" said among other things, the General Secretary of the WCC. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2014)
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"