ASIA/SYRIA - Muslim leader of the opposition: immediately release all the Christians kidnapped
Geneva (Agenzia Fides) - Sheikh Mohammad Abdel- Hady al- Yaaqubi, Islamic scholar and member of the Syrian opposition present at the Geneva 2 talks, called upon "all Islamic militants to immediately release all those who are unjustly detained against their will, especially the innocent bishops, nuns and monks". Al Yaaqubi strongly emphasized that acts of violence and abuses against innocent people "do not reflect the values of Islam".
The statements were issued in past days by the scholar during a press conference followed by the meeting that some members of the Syrian anti- Assad opposition had in Geneva with the Norwegian and Lutheran theologian pastor Olav Fykse Tveit, general Secretary of the World Council of Churches. During the talks with the Syrian guests, Dr. Tveit called for prayers for peace in Syria. "We as religious leaders have to carry the hope that miracles are possible and that there will be peace. If we are not doing this, who will?" said among other things, the General Secretary of the WCC. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2014)
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear
- 2015-06-24 - Jihadist attacks in Hassaké. Archbishop Hindo: "they are a sign of weakness and desperation"
- 2015-06-16 - The central districts of Aleppo attacked by rebels
- 2015-06-15 - Patriarchs and Bishops of the Eastern Churches pray together for peace and commemorate the centenary of the "Assyrian Genocide" in Damascus