ASIA/SYRIA - Muslim leader of the opposition: immediately release all the Christians kidnapped
Geneva (Agenzia Fides) - Sheikh Mohammad Abdel- Hady al- Yaaqubi, Islamic scholar and member of the Syrian opposition present at the Geneva 2 talks, called upon "all Islamic militants to immediately release all those who are unjustly detained against their will, especially the innocent bishops, nuns and monks". Al Yaaqubi strongly emphasized that acts of violence and abuses against innocent people "do not reflect the values of Islam".
The statements were issued in past days by the scholar during a press conference followed by the meeting that some members of the Syrian anti- Assad opposition had in Geneva with the Norwegian and Lutheran theologian pastor Olav Fykse Tveit, general Secretary of the World Council of Churches. During the talks with the Syrian guests, Dr. Tveit called for prayers for peace in Syria. "We as religious leaders have to carry the hope that miracles are possible and that there will be peace. If we are not doing this, who will?" said among other things, the General Secretary of the WCC. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2014)
- 2014-11-15 - 25 Christian families still in Raqqa. Obligation to pay a "protection tax"
- 2014-11-14 - Archbishop Hindo: if the US attack the Syrian army, we will have a second Libya
- 2014-11-12 - Negotiations for a truce in Aleppo. Bishop Abou Khazen: it is only useful if it brings us closer to true peace
- 2014-10-30 - The Catholic Syrian Bishops: if the world wants to help us, stop sending us weapons!
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra