ASIA/SYRIA - Muslim leader of the opposition: immediately release all the Christians kidnapped
Geneva (Agenzia Fides) - Sheikh Mohammad Abdel- Hady al- Yaaqubi, Islamic scholar and member of the Syrian opposition present at the Geneva 2 talks, called upon "all Islamic militants to immediately release all those who are unjustly detained against their will, especially the innocent bishops, nuns and monks". Al Yaaqubi strongly emphasized that acts of violence and abuses against innocent people "do not reflect the values of Islam".
The statements were issued in past days by the scholar during a press conference followed by the meeting that some members of the Syrian anti- Assad opposition had in Geneva with the Norwegian and Lutheran theologian pastor Olav Fykse Tveit, general Secretary of the World Council of Churches. During the talks with the Syrian guests, Dr. Tveit called for prayers for peace in Syria. "We as religious leaders have to carry the hope that miracles are possible and that there will be peace. If we are not doing this, who will?" said among other things, the General Secretary of the WCC. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2014)
- 2014-10-13 - The five Christians of the Orontes Valley, who were still being held by jihadists, have been released
- 2014-10-10 - Five Christians of the Orontes Valley still held by Islamic jihadists
- 2014-10-09 - Father Jallouf Hanna has been released
- 2014-10-09 - ASIA/SYRIA – The four women abducted along with Father Hanna have been released; no message from the kidnappers
- 2014-10-08 - The Franciscan priest kidnapped after he had appealed to the Islamic Court
- 2014-10-07 - Custody of the Holy Land: Fr. Jallouf and other Christians kidnapped by the jihadists linked to al-Nusra
- 2014-10-07 - Bishop Khazen confirms: a priest and twenty Christians of the village of Knayeh have been kidnapped
- 2014-10-02 - Massacre of children in Homs; three Christians kidnapped in the province of Hassaké
- 2014-09-24 - Armenian Archbishop of Aleppo: for the people, the perpetrators of the raids are certainly not "liberators"
- 2014-09-22 - The jihadists of the Islamic State destroy the memorial church of the Armenian Genocide in Deir el-Zor