Valencia (Agenzia Fides) - The Catholic community of Valencia held two celebrations yesterday for the funeral of the two Salesians killed on Saturday, February 15 during a robbery (see Fides 17/02/2014 ). The first Mass celebrated in the church of Mary Help of Christians, was presided by the former director of the Don Bosco Salesian School with the participation of ex-students, parents and many young people of the school. Father Johnny Reyes said in his homily that, as a Catholic, he has to think of Christian forgiveness towards the killers, but as a member of the Catholic community of Valencia he cannot allow the life and work of the men killed to be put in doubt, because the whole community is witness of the example of their lives, totally committed to children. Father Reyes said that the religious killed had been at the service of the Salesian community in the country for more than 50 years.
The note sent to Fides also reports that the second Mass was celebrated by His Exc. Mgr. Reinaldo Del Prette, Archbishop of Valencia, concelebrated by many priests . Even the mayor of the city of Valencia, Miguel Cocchiola, and other authorities, as well as many of the faithful were present.
Brother Luis Sánchez was buried in the Santuary of Mary Help of Christians, while Father Jesús Plaza was taken to the state of Merida, where he was from. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 18/02/2014)