AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - More than 30 thousand religious women, almost 8,000 priests and about 2,700 religious brothers mobilized "for a prevention campaign that will begin on May 18 in all the host cities of the Football World Cup" in order to increase the awareness of the population on issues such as human trafficking and sexual exploitation in the country.
The campaign is "Play in favor of Life", sponsored by the Conference of Religious of Brazil (CRB), for which preparations are underway, according to the note sent to Fides Agency. Sister Eurides de Oliveira, coordinator of the network "A cry for life", in charge of preparing the campaign, informs that the work of priests and religious will mainly focus on "prevention and information".
From the data collected by the organization, it is learned that human trafficking and sexual exploitation have become a threat to many children, youth and adults. International events such as the FIFA World Cup, "end up being occasions for the practice of this crime", since "in many cases children are adopted illegally, teenagers are involved initially for the promotion of the sport but are then immersed in networks of sexual exploitation", said the note of the CRB.
The campaign "Play for Life" has the support of local and international organization, such as the Commission for the Pastoral Care of the Child, the Brazilian Ministry of Justice and Caritas Internationalis. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/02/2014)
- 2015-08-28 - Scalabrinians: international meeting to find new answers to the issue of migration
- 2015-08-19 - "Church and mining activity": testimonies and experiences in defense of life and territories
- 2015-08-18 - Local Catholic Church demands guaranteed rights for migrants
- 2015-08-13 - Tension between Haitians and locals, Haitian citizen mortally wounded
- 2015-08-11 - National Family Week, an event that grows in Brazil
- 2015-08-08 - Pilgrimage in the heart of the Amazon in defense of creation and to remember Sister Dorothy Stang
- 2015-07-25 - AMERICA/BRAZIL – Franciscan Sister murdered
- 2015-07-23 - Mission Campaign 2015: material ready
- 2015-07-21 - The water crisis threatens millions of people
- 2015-07-20 - A video documents the first missionary experience of young people in the Amazon