AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - More than 30 thousand religious women, almost 8,000 priests and about 2,700 religious brothers mobilized "for a prevention campaign that will begin on May 18 in all the host cities of the Football World Cup" in order to increase the awareness of the population on issues such as human trafficking and sexual exploitation in the country.
The campaign is "Play in favor of Life", sponsored by the Conference of Religious of Brazil (CRB), for which preparations are underway, according to the note sent to Fides Agency. Sister Eurides de Oliveira, coordinator of the network "A cry for life", in charge of preparing the campaign, informs that the work of priests and religious will mainly focus on "prevention and information".
From the data collected by the organization, it is learned that human trafficking and sexual exploitation have become a threat to many children, youth and adults. International events such as the FIFA World Cup, "end up being occasions for the practice of this crime", since "in many cases children are adopted illegally, teenagers are involved initially for the promotion of the sport but are then immersed in networks of sexual exploitation", said the note of the CRB.
The campaign "Play for Life" has the support of local and international organization, such as the Commission for the Pastoral Care of the Child, the Brazilian Ministry of Justice and Caritas Internationalis. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/02/2014)
- 2015-07-01 - The indifference of the state in the face of a situation of injustice denounced by the Bishop of Dourados
- 2015-06-25 - More than 20,000 people every week prepare themselves for the feast of Our Lady of Perpetual Help
- 2015-06-23 - Report of CIMI: suicide and infant mortality are decimating the indigenous population
- 2015-06-16 - On the border between Peru and Bolivia, crossroads of migrants
- 2015-06-16 - "No to prejudice, yes to rights and participation": week of Migrants
- 2015-06-10 - From Haiti to Brazil in the hands of human traffickers, with the hope of a better future
- 2015-05-27 - Bishops’ refelection: "Thinking Brazil", social inequalities in Brazil
- 2015-05-22 - More than 630,000 signatures for political Reform and transparent elections
- 2015-05-02 - Bishops' Message for May 1st: "We cannot live with slave labor"
- 2015-04-29 - "They kill to intimidate": another indigenous leader killed, the complaint of CIMI