AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - More than 30 thousand religious women, almost 8,000 priests and about 2,700 religious brothers mobilized "for a prevention campaign that will begin on May 18 in all the host cities of the Football World Cup" in order to increase the awareness of the population on issues such as human trafficking and sexual exploitation in the country.
The campaign is "Play in favor of Life", sponsored by the Conference of Religious of Brazil (CRB), for which preparations are underway, according to the note sent to Fides Agency. Sister Eurides de Oliveira, coordinator of the network "A cry for life", in charge of preparing the campaign, informs that the work of priests and religious will mainly focus on "prevention and information".
From the data collected by the organization, it is learned that human trafficking and sexual exploitation have become a threat to many children, youth and adults. International events such as the FIFA World Cup, "end up being occasions for the practice of this crime", since "in many cases children are adopted illegally, teenagers are involved initially for the promotion of the sport but are then immersed in networks of sexual exploitation", said the note of the CRB.
The campaign "Play for Life" has the support of local and international organization, such as the Commission for the Pastoral Care of the Child, the Brazilian Ministry of Justice and Caritas Internationalis. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/02/2014)
- 2015-11-25 - National school feeding program to improve the living conditions of children and farmers
- 2015-11-23 - The presence of foreign missionaries enriches the Church in Brazil
- 2015-11-13 - Two more religious missionary nuns sent to Haiti: they will help children, youth and families
- 2015-10-30 - Bishops' message: Crisis in the country worsens, dialogue and democracy are needed
- 2015-10-20 - "Scalabrinian Mission": opening of a new reception center for refugees in Sao Paulo
- 2015-10-14 - "The wealth of Brazil should be better distributed" asks Mgr. Nicioli
- 2015-10-10 - The Church: it is urgent to save abandoned children and adolescents who have disappeared
- 2015-09-16 - "How many people have to die before they have justice?", since 1983 at least 50 indigenous leaders have been killed
- 2015-09-15 - Preparation for World Mission Sunday 2015 begins
- 2015-09-14 - Early Marriages: still half a million young newlyweds between 15 to 17 years of age