AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
Brasilia (Agenzia Fides) - More than 30 thousand religious women, almost 8,000 priests and about 2,700 religious brothers mobilized "for a prevention campaign that will begin on May 18 in all the host cities of the Football World Cup" in order to increase the awareness of the population on issues such as human trafficking and sexual exploitation in the country.
The campaign is "Play in favor of Life", sponsored by the Conference of Religious of Brazil (CRB), for which preparations are underway, according to the note sent to Fides Agency. Sister Eurides de Oliveira, coordinator of the network "A cry for life", in charge of preparing the campaign, informs that the work of priests and religious will mainly focus on "prevention and information".
From the data collected by the organization, it is learned that human trafficking and sexual exploitation have become a threat to many children, youth and adults. International events such as the FIFA World Cup, "end up being occasions for the practice of this crime", since "in many cases children are adopted illegally, teenagers are involved initially for the promotion of the sport but are then immersed in networks of sexual exploitation", said the note of the CRB.
The campaign "Play for Life" has the support of local and international organization, such as the Commission for the Pastoral Care of the Child, the Brazilian Ministry of Justice and Caritas Internationalis. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/02/2014)
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil