AFRICA/EGYPT - Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church on the rules for the election of the Patriarch
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church towards a better future". This is the title of the Synod of Bishops of the Coptic Orthodox Church in Cairo to be held from February 17 to 19, under the chairmanship of Patriarch Tawadros II. According to Fides Agency, the discussion on the draft of a new regulation for the election of the Patriarch is among the topics on the agenda. The revision of electoral procedures used for the selection of the Head of the Coptic Orthodox Church had been promised by Patriarch Tawadros himself after his election in November 2012. On that occasion, it had appeared obvious to most of the people involved that many rules of the electoral system in force had to be updated because they no longer reflect the present state of the Coptic Orthodox Church.
In the current process for the election of the Patriarch there appears to be no form of involvement of the Coptic community in the diaspora, which in recent decades have seen an impressive numerical progression, resulting in the creation of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese in the world. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/02/2014)
- 2015-05-28 - AFRICA/EGYPT – Coptic boys released, falsely accused of an "insulting" video towards Islam
- 2015-05-26 - The Council of Christian Churches celebrate the second anniversary of its founding
- 2015-05-22 - Patriarch Tawadros speaks at the conference on the "Coptic Diaspora"
- 2015-05-21 - The police free four kidnapped Copts
- 2015-05-20 - Four Copts kidnapped on the way to the Marian shrine of Jabal al-Tair
- 2015-05-19 - The Arab League welcomes the agreement between the Holy See and the State of Palestine
- 2015-05-18 - Morsi condemned to death. Coptic Catholic Bishop: "the Church never justifies death penalty for anyone"
- 2015-05-13 - President al-Sisi: so far little has been done to renew "religious speech"
- 2015-05-12 - Positive comments and controversy over the case of the Ethiopian Christians freed in Libya thanks to the Egyptian intervention
- 2015-05-05 - Coptic Patriarch Tawadros II: the possibility to celebrate Easter together on the third Sunday in April is being studied