AFRICA/EGYPT - Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church on the rules for the election of the Patriarch
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church towards a better future". This is the title of the Synod of Bishops of the Coptic Orthodox Church in Cairo to be held from February 17 to 19, under the chairmanship of Patriarch Tawadros II. According to Fides Agency, the discussion on the draft of a new regulation for the election of the Patriarch is among the topics on the agenda. The revision of electoral procedures used for the selection of the Head of the Coptic Orthodox Church had been promised by Patriarch Tawadros himself after his election in November 2012. On that occasion, it had appeared obvious to most of the people involved that many rules of the electoral system in force had to be updated because they no longer reflect the present state of the Coptic Orthodox Church.
In the current process for the election of the Patriarch there appears to be no form of involvement of the Coptic community in the diaspora, which in recent decades have seen an impressive numerical progression, resulting in the creation of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese in the world. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/02/2014)
- 2015-04-22 - Imams and priests promote the "culture of encounter" preaching together in schools in Minya
- 2015-04-21 - The Islamic University of Al Azhar condemns the massacre of jihadist of Christian Ethiopians
- 2015-04-20 - Coptic Bishop Antonios Aziz Mina on Ethiopian Christians massacred: the martyrs are those in whom the great and consoling victory of Christ shines
- 2015-04-16 - The Coptic Patriarch will participate in the commemorations of the centenary of the Armenian Genocide, to be held in Yerevan
- 2015-04-01 - Laying of the foundation stone of the church dedicated to the "Martyrs of Libya"
- 2015-03-31 - The Coptic Orthodox Church invites President al-Sisi to Easter Mass
- 2015-03-28 - The Coptic Church supports the government in the fight against illiteracy
- 2015-03-26 - The Coptic Orthodox Church reaffirms ban on pilgrimages to Jerusalem
- 2015-03-25 - President Sisi endorses the new regulation for the election of the Coptic Pope
- 2015-03-23 - The conviction for the Salafist leader who tore up a copy of the Bible confirmed