AFRICA/EGYPT - Synod of the Coptic Orthodox Church on the rules for the election of the Patriarch
Cairo (Agenzia Fides) - "The Church towards a better future". This is the title of the Synod of Bishops of the Coptic Orthodox Church in Cairo to be held from February 17 to 19, under the chairmanship of Patriarch Tawadros II. According to Fides Agency, the discussion on the draft of a new regulation for the election of the Patriarch is among the topics on the agenda. The revision of electoral procedures used for the selection of the Head of the Coptic Orthodox Church had been promised by Patriarch Tawadros himself after his election in November 2012. On that occasion, it had appeared obvious to most of the people involved that many rules of the electoral system in force had to be updated because they no longer reflect the present state of the Coptic Orthodox Church.
In the current process for the election of the Patriarch there appears to be no form of involvement of the Coptic community in the diaspora, which in recent decades have seen an impressive numerical progression, resulting in the creation of the Coptic Orthodox Diocese in the world. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 17/02/2014)
- 2014-12-19 - Islamist threats against the Christmas celebration; Muslim leaders: we defend the churches together with Christians
- 2014-12-15 - Al Azhar: those who commit terrorist acts in the name of Islam cannot be labelled "infidel"
- 2014-12-13 - The Coptic Orthodox Church: "Employment Day" for young job seekers
- 2014-12-10 - The government is studying the draft electoral law, 24 seats reserved for Christians
- 2014-12-09 - AFRICA/EGYPT – In Minya Governatorate in 4 years some 120 million Egyptian pounds paid in ransom for kidnapped Christians
- 2014-12-04 - For Copt Catholic Bishop Antonios Mina the anti-Islamist terrorism Conference at al-Azhar was “epochal”
- 2014-12-03 - Conference on Islam and Terrorism at Al Azhar. Imam al- Tayyeb: “takfirist” extremism perverts the Islamic religion
- 2014-11-12 - The government expels Islamist militants from educational institutions
- 2014-11-10 - The Patriarch of the Coptic Orthodox: may the Churches unify the dates for the Easter celebration
- 2014-11-05 - For the Coptic Orthodox Patriarch extremist groups are a product of the West