AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying
Valencia (Agenzia Fides) - "The Archbishop of Valencia, Msg. Reinaldo Del Prette L. in union with his brother priests, religious and laity, expresses our church community’s deep sorrow and dismay for the murder of Fr. Jesus Plaza and of brother Luis Sanchez, Salesians, as well as acts of aggression and sacrilege of which they were victims at the Religious Community of the Don Bosco School": This is what we read in the statement of the archdiocese of Valencia (Venezuela) sent to Fides Agency after the violent death of a priest and a lay religious and the attack against the members of the Salesian community. "We are truly saddened and horrified by this reprehensible incident", the statement said.
According to a note sent to Fides by sources in Caracas, the tragic events occurred on Saturday evening, February 15, when two youths entered the Salesian school, apparently to steal, using violence against the religious. The police report confirms that these two minors (13 and 15 years of age) wanted to steal computers, money, mobile phones and other valuables. Father José Luis Salazar and another priest, David Marin (64), who are now in a local clinic, were seriously injured.
"Fr. Jesus Plaza (80) and the religious brother Luis Sanchez (84) unfortunately died" confirmed Fr. Luciano Stefani, superior of the Salesians in Venezuela. Fr. Fernando Santana, director of Don Bosco house in Guaparo on the outskirts of Valencia, said to the press that "the boys have nothing to do with politics, this fact does not affect the political situation, but the terrible situation of insecurity that we all live in the country".
The Rector Major of the Salesians, Fr. Pascual Chavez, tweeted the sad news with the comment: "We pray for peace and for this country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/02/2014)
- 2015-11-26 - Tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa: "State officials must ask for peace"
- 2015-11-23 - With the closure of borders many children are unlikely to make their First Communion
- 2015-11-11 - The Bishops call for elections: "Free vote, essential to strengthen democracy"
- 2015-09-22 - The National Assembly of the PMS: solidarity with our brothers in the East
- 2015-09-18 - The National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Renew enthusiasm in evangelization
- 2015-09-17 - Crisis with Colombia: "Governments have not done their best to solve the crisis", said Mgr. Padron
- 2015-09-07 - Poverty and precariousness force people to seek food in the garbage
- 2015-09-01 - The Bishops on the situation of conflict with Colombia: "Human rights are the same for all"
- 2015-08-12 - No social communications no democracy Bishop Lückert León speaks about the media
- 2015-08-11 - Drugs are lacking in the country, some use those for animals