AMERICA/VENEZUELA - Two Salesians killed and two others injured during a robbery, insecurity in the country is worrying
Valencia (Agenzia Fides) - "The Archbishop of Valencia, Msg. Reinaldo Del Prette L. in union with his brother priests, religious and laity, expresses our church community’s deep sorrow and dismay for the murder of Fr. Jesus Plaza and of brother Luis Sanchez, Salesians, as well as acts of aggression and sacrilege of which they were victims at the Religious Community of the Don Bosco School": This is what we read in the statement of the archdiocese of Valencia (Venezuela) sent to Fides Agency after the violent death of a priest and a lay religious and the attack against the members of the Salesian community. "We are truly saddened and horrified by this reprehensible incident", the statement said.
According to a note sent to Fides by sources in Caracas, the tragic events occurred on Saturday evening, February 15, when two youths entered the Salesian school, apparently to steal, using violence against the religious. The police report confirms that these two minors (13 and 15 years of age) wanted to steal computers, money, mobile phones and other valuables. Father José Luis Salazar and another priest, David Marin (64), who are now in a local clinic, were seriously injured.
"Fr. Jesus Plaza (80) and the religious brother Luis Sanchez (84) unfortunately died" confirmed Fr. Luciano Stefani, superior of the Salesians in Venezuela. Fr. Fernando Santana, director of Don Bosco house in Guaparo on the outskirts of Valencia, said to the press that "the boys have nothing to do with politics, this fact does not affect the political situation, but the terrible situation of insecurity that we all live in the country".
The Rector Major of the Salesians, Fr. Pascual Chavez, tweeted the sad news with the comment: "We pray for peace and for this country". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 17/02/2014)
- 2015-03-03 - Classes suspended in the University of Tachira, false accusations made against the Catholic University
- 2015-02-27 - The Bishops: "Stop murderous violence!"
- 2015-02-25 - More violence and protests: 6 dead in six days of demonstrations
- 2015-02-24 - Growing tension in the capital, Cardinal Urosa denounces murder of 3 students
- 2015-02-20 - Police arrest Mayor of Caracas, for Archbishop Lückert “proof of dictatorship ”
- 2015-01-31 - Four churches attacked in Mérida
- 2015-01-30 - Mgr. Parra robbed during a parish meeting: "Money is spent on many things, but not on safety"
- 2015-01-13 - Dialogue to end the crisis: the exhortation of the Episcopal Conference
- 2015-01-12 - Shops are empty: Cardinal Urosa calls on the government to act quickly and urges to remain calm
- 2015-01-08 - AMERICA/VENEZUELA – Assembly of Bishops: dialogue to end the crisis and the necessity to find agreed solutions