AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Bishops to MPs: "only wear the shirt of Costa Rica"
San Jose (Agenzia Fides) - "One needs to take off the shirt of their respective political parties and wear only one of Costa Rica": with this metaphor, the Bishops of Costa Rica urged politicians elected in Parliament to act for the common good. As reported to Fides, Mgr. Angel San Casimiro Fernandez, Bishop of Alajuela, and Secretary General of the Episcopal Conference of Costa Rica, urged the 57 legislators to act in the pursuit of truth and good of Costa Rica". Mgr. Casimiro Fernández expressed himself after the publication of the final document of the 107th plenary assembly of the Episcopal Conference, calling on all those who are involved in politics to follow values such as respect for human dignity and human rights, social and economic needs of all citizens. The Church-policy dialogue goes on in the country at different levels: Mgr. Gabriel Enrique Montero Umaña O.F.M. Conv, who will be ordained Bishop of San Isidro next March 1 (see Fides 08/01/2014), met the candidate-president of "National Liberation", Johnny Araya, recalling that "citizens have the right to ask rulers why they have failed to reduce poverty in the country", repeatedly promised in the past.
In the vote on 2 February, Costa Rica elected Parliament but will go to a runoff on April 6 to choose the president, between Luis Guillermo Rivera Solís of the "Accion Ciudadana" party (who got the first round of 30.84 % of votes), and Johnny Araya Monge, of the "national liberation" party, who obtained 29.64 % of the votes. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 15/02/2014)
- 2014-02-15 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Bishops to MPs: "only wear the shirt of Costa Rica"
- 2014-01-27 AMERICA/COSTA RICA – The Bishops' appeal before the vote on February 2: Choose the deputies with attention
- 2014-01-08 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The new Bishop of El General calls on Costa Ricans to vote on February 2
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - From December, all the parishes will reflect on the Bishops’ document in view of elections
- 2013-11-19 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Alert concerning dengue cases among children under 4 years of age: since 2013 1,500 have been infected
- 2013-11-14 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Appeal rejected: the Bishops' document on the election does not favor any party
- 2013-10-28 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - " It is time to act!": Families in defense of life, the first human right
- 2013-10-01 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Poverty rate remains constant and alarming
- 2013-10-01 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - The Church offers criteria to elect the next President: a document is being prepared
- 2013-08-24 AMERICA/COSTA RICA - Violence against children: an "epidemic" that continues to spread