AFRICA/LIBYA - Rumors of a coup denied: "calm situation in Tripoli", say Fides sources
Tripoli (Agenzia Fides) - Rumors of a possible military coup in Libya, after an Arab satellite television had reported that militias loyal to General Khalifa Haftar had taken control of Tripoli have been denied. Haftar had announced a 5 step program to bring the Country out of the crisis in which he struggles since the fall of the Gaddafi regime.
The Libyan Prime Minister, Ali Zeidan, said that the situation is under control and that the rumors of a coup are baseless. Fides Agency sources in the Libyan capital say that "the situation is calm", even if there have been some demonstrations in the city center. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 14/02/2014)
- 2014-02-14 - Rumors of a coup denied: "calm situation in Tripoli", say Fides sources
- 2013-11-26 - " Despite the uncertainty of today I am confident that peace can explode" said Mgr. Martinelli
- 2013-09-04 - Threats to the distribution of water in Tripoli
- 2013-09-03 - Libya struggles to find stability two years after Gaddafi’s escape from Tripoli
- 2013-05-20 - Attack near the Catholic church in Benghazi
- 2013-04-24 - Mgr. Martinelli is concerned about yesterday’s attack and saddened by the deaths of two nuns
- 2013-03-04 - Catholic priest attacked in Tripoli
- 2013-02-14 - "The nuns, except those of Benghazi, have left Cyrenaica"
- 2013-01-31 - Two religious communities forced to leave Cyrenaica, complaint by Mgr. Martinelli, "In coming days we expect difficult times"
- 2013-01-25 - Some Western countries invite their countrymen to leave Benghazi