AMERICA/PANAMA - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent
Panama (Agenzia Fides) - With the arrival of the Special Envoy of the Holy Father, Cardinal Antonio Cañizares Llovera, Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, the closing celebrations of the Jubilee for the fifth centenary of the creation of the first diocese in the continent, Santa Maria La Antigua (now Archdiocese of Panama) started in Panama. According to information Fides collected, yesterday, February 13, at the Main Auditorium of Santa María la Antigua University, the Cardinal was awarded an honorary degree in "Humanidades y Ciencias Religiosas".
As part of the closing of the Jubilee Year, this evening, February 14, the "Gran Encuentro Fe" will be held at the Mirador del Pacifico, a very big square on the boardwalk, with the participation of national well-known Catholic singers and Colombian preacher Fray Nelson Medina. The Eucharistic adoration will follow with the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation.
The main celebration, the closing Mass of the Jubilee will take place at the Roberto Duran Arena (Sports Centre), on Saturday afternoon, February 15. It will be presided by Cardinal Cañizares and concelebrated by His Exc. Mgr. Leopoldo Brenes, Archbishop of Managua (Nicaragua), by the Bishops of Panama and other Bishops from other parts of Central America. There will be the delegations of 8 dioceses in the Country. The Jubilee began in September 2012 (see Fides 13/09/2012). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 14/02/2014)
- 2014-08-04 - First Congress on the Family "source of social wealth"
- 2014-07-12 - Insecurity and lack of protection of resources among the serious problems of the Country according to the Bishops
- 2014-05-22 - On a mission in the vulnerable suburbs of society: migrants, itinerant people, displaced ...
- 2014-04-30 - First Congress on human mobility in Latin America and the Caribbean
- 2014-04-15 - The Church calls for calm and responsible participation in the voting
- 2014-02-14 - Conclusion of the Jubilee for the 500th anniversary of Santa Maria La Antigua, the first Church of the continent
- 2014-01-10 - "An inclusive democracy for the dignity of all the people in Panama": the Assembly of Bishops calls on people to vote on May 4
- 2013-11-25 - Religious leaders’ appeal to stop violence against children and adolescents
- 2013-10-31 - Priest killed in broad daylight in front of the Bishop's house
- 2013-10-24 - Education, health care and food for children belonging to poor communities