ASIA/IRAQ - Campaign against the gifts between people in love on Valentine's Day. The Islamists: "it is a Christian feast"
Mosul (Agenzia Fides) - Some shopkeepers in Mosul who exposed gifts and gadgets to be sold on St. Valentine’s day were forced to obey the threats of armed groups who invited them to put their merchandise away, constituted largely by showy hearts and red teddy bears. This was confirmed to ankawa agency.com by the merchant Majed Ibrahim, owner of a gift shop in the University area. The stated reason of the ostracism against the day celebrated by boyfriends and girlfriends around the world is its connection with the Christian feast of St. Valentine from Terni, the bishop martyr who lived in the third century after Christ, venerated as a saint in the Catholic Church and the Churches of the East, considered the patron saint of lovers and epileptics. According to testimonies, even some preachers in the mosques expressed public warnings against a feast that in recent years had recorded an increasing appeal among young Arabs, regardless of their religious affiliation. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 14/02/2014)
- 2014-09-13 - The school year in the Islamic Caliphate: the teaching of Syriac and Christian names of schools have been abolished
- 2014-09-11 - ASIA/IRAQ – Air raids hit areas adjacent to two churches in Mosul
- 2014-09-10 - Syrian Catholic priest says: Christians will return to the Plain of Ninive only when and if Mosul is freed
- 2014-09-05 - Head of Caritas Lebanon: we welcome Iraqi Christian refugees, but they are determined to leave the Middle East
- 2014-09-04 - Chaldean Catholic Patriarch: to free Ninive province we need a peacekeeping operation and Christians enrolled in local police force
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"