ASIA/SYRIA - Masses for the release of all the hostages
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - A year after the kidnapping of the Armenian Catholic priest Mikael Kayal and the Syro-Orthodox priest Maher Mahfouz, which took place on February 9, 2013 on the road that from Aleppo leads to Damascus, many Masses were celebrated last Sunday in the churches in Aleppo, to beg the Lord for the gift of their release, along with that of all other Bishops, priests, religious men and women seized in the context of the conflict in Syria.
Prayers continue in spiritual communion in so many other parts of the world. In Rome, on Sunday, February 16, at 11am, even the community of the Pontifical Armenian College will gather in prayer in the Armenian Church of St. Nicholas of Tolentino to celebrate Mass "with the intention of the liberation of our dear brothers", reads a note sent to Fides.
The two priests were kidnapped while they were traveling on a public bus, along with many other people. They were heading to the Salesian house in Kafrun, along with the Salesian priest, Fr. Charbel. Thirty kilometers from Aleppo, the vehicle was stopped by a band of rebels, who after checking the passengers’ documents, asked the two priests to get off and took them away immediately. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2014)
- 2015-08-27 - A Syrian television documentary on the Assyrian Genocide projected in the presence of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarch
- 2015-08-26 - Mortar attacks on two churches in Damascus. The Maronite Archbishop: our life is like a game of Russian roulette
- 2015-08-05 - The "Water project" for Aleppo to provide water to the martyred Syrian city has concluded
- 2015-07-21 - Archbishop Hindo becomes "almost-mayor" of Hassaké
- 2015-07-20 - Armenians and Kurds fight together against the jihadists in Hassaké
- 2015-07-17 - Archbishop Antiba confirms the kidnapping of Father Antoine Boutros and his collaborator
- 2015-07-16 - A Melkite priest in the Syrian province of al-Suwayda missing. A kidnapping is feared
- 2015-07-07 - Cautious hopes for the release of the Franciscan parish priest taken away by jihadists
- 2015-06-30 - Thousands of Christian families fleeing Hassakè. Archbishop Hindo: jihadists have found support in the local population
- 2015-06-26 - ASIA/SYRIA – Mass escape from Hassaké, attacked by the jihadists of Daesh. Bishop Audo: "the agenda" of the forces is not clear