ASIA/SYRIA - Masses for the release of all the hostages
Aleppo (Agenzia Fides) - A year after the kidnapping of the Armenian Catholic priest Mikael Kayal and the Syro-Orthodox priest Maher Mahfouz, which took place on February 9, 2013 on the road that from Aleppo leads to Damascus, many Masses were celebrated last Sunday in the churches in Aleppo, to beg the Lord for the gift of their release, along with that of all other Bishops, priests, religious men and women seized in the context of the conflict in Syria.
Prayers continue in spiritual communion in so many other parts of the world. In Rome, on Sunday, February 16, at 11am, even the community of the Pontifical Armenian College will gather in prayer in the Armenian Church of St. Nicholas of Tolentino to celebrate Mass "with the intention of the liberation of our dear brothers", reads a note sent to Fides.
The two priests were kidnapped while they were traveling on a public bus, along with many other people. They were heading to the Salesian house in Kafrun, along with the Salesian priest, Fr. Charbel. Thirty kilometers from Aleppo, the vehicle was stopped by a band of rebels, who after checking the passengers’ documents, asked the two priests to get off and took them away immediately. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 13/02/2014)
- 2015-04-17 - Christian Cemeteries vandalized in Mosul and in Galilee
- 2015-04-17 - The Syrian government dedicates a garden to the Martyrs of the Assyrian Genocide in the center of Damascus
- 2015-04-15 - The Heads of the Christian communities in Aleppo: is it the time of the Resurrection of the Savior or the funeral of his disciples?
- 2015-04-14 - Bombings on Christian neighborhoods in Aleppo, also two young Salesian animators killed
- 2015-04-09 - Caritas operator dies in the bombing in Aleppo
- 2015-04-01 - Idlib in the hands of jihadists. Orthodox priest kidnapped
- 2015-03-24 - The Islamic State shows a video of an Assyrian Christian who "converted" to Islam
- 2015-03-20 - Assyrian Bishop writes to the jihadists: our Church does not identify itself with any armed group
- 2015-03-18 - Catholic Bishops meet in Homs
- 2015-03-18 - Patriarch Gregoire III: "one is inconsiderate to invoke external military interventions to defend Christians in the Middle East"