ASIA/INDIA - Bishops’ vademecum: Human dignity, compass for Indian society
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - Human dignity must be the compass for Indian society: says a new book entitled "Human dignity in Catholic social thought", edited by Fr. Charles Irudayam, Secretary of the "Justice, peace and development" Commission, within the Bishops' Conference of India. The book, published a few months before the general elections that are to held in May 2014, focuses on the theme of human dignity as one of the central points of the social doctrine of the Church. The text includes biblical perspectives and patristic teaching of human dignity, as well as a deepening of the teachings of several popes from Leo XIII to pope Francis. The text referring to "Evangelii Gaudium", reminds us that "the dignity of every human person and the common good are concerns that should shape politics and economy". "With the publication of the book - explains Fr. Irudayam - the Commission hopes to cultivate respect for human dignity, brotherhood, equality, justice, peace and joy in the Church and throughout the Indian society". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2014)
- 2015-05-20 - The Indian Bishops: "We would be happy for the canonization of Mother Teresa"
- 2015-05-16 - Five attacks in five days against the Christians in Madhya Pradesh
- 2015-05-06 - 35 per cent children in India have poor lung capacity
- 2015-04-22 - Catholic schools are not "against Hindu culture"
- 2015-04-17 - Vandalizing acts against a Catholic church in Uttar Pradesh
- 2015-04-13 - Hindu extremist leader: "Sterilise Christians and Muslims in India"
- 2015-04-01 - Flood emergency in Kashmir
- 2015-03-23 - Catholics: "Close schools in sign of protest against the violence on Christians"
- 2015-03-20 - Cardinal Thottunkal: "India should be concerned about human rights, not just cows"
- 2015-03-17 - ASIA/INDIA – The Bishops: "Violence against nuns, a crime of which India should be ashamed"