ASIA/INDIA - Bishops’ vademecum: Human dignity, compass for Indian society
New Delhi (Agenzia Fides) - Human dignity must be the compass for Indian society: says a new book entitled "Human dignity in Catholic social thought", edited by Fr. Charles Irudayam, Secretary of the "Justice, peace and development" Commission, within the Bishops' Conference of India. The book, published a few months before the general elections that are to held in May 2014, focuses on the theme of human dignity as one of the central points of the social doctrine of the Church. The text includes biblical perspectives and patristic teaching of human dignity, as well as a deepening of the teachings of several popes from Leo XIII to pope Francis. The text referring to "Evangelii Gaudium", reminds us that "the dignity of every human person and the common good are concerns that should shape politics and economy". "With the publication of the book - explains Fr. Irudayam - the Commission hopes to cultivate respect for human dignity, brotherhood, equality, justice, peace and joy in the Church and throughout the Indian society". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2014)
- 2015-02-27 - New episodes of violence against Christian churches
- 2015-02-25 - Release of kidnapped priest: the Church thanks the Prime Minister
- 2015-02-24 - The government of India does not intend to pass any anti-conversion law
- 2015-02-20 - ASIA/INDIA – Local Church tells government: stop discrimination against Dalit Christians
- 2015-02-18 - Prime Minister promises protection for minorities, bishops call for “concrete action”
- 2015-02-12 - Blasphemy against the Christian faith
- 2015-02-10 - Elections in Delhi: nationalists collapse, for the Church it is "a new beginning"
- 2015-02-09 - Bishops of Latin rite: "We urgently need to respect the rule of law, peace and harmony"
- 2015-02-06 - Attacks on churches: Home Minister, Rajnath Singh, promises security to churches
- 2015-01-30 - Bishops to the government: "To support a secular India and respectful of the rights"