AMERICA/GUATEMALA - "Life is not respected any more in the country" alarm of the Church in the fight against drug trafficking
Petén (Agenzia Fides) - "It is terrible that life is not respected any more in Guatemala": this was strongly denounced by the Archbishop of Santiago de Guatemala, His Exc. Mgr. Oscar Julio Vian Morales, S.D.B. referring to the killing of nine people, including two girls, which took place in an area called La Isla, in San Luis (Petén), between Friday 7th and Saturday 8th February. The note sent to Fides by a local source, reports the words of the Archbishop in the usual meeting with the community after Sunday Mass, on February 9: "this is the second massacre, because in May 2011, 27 farmers were killed. This time the aggression was attributed to the Zetas, in Los Cocos farm, in La Libertad, Petén".
According to press reports, the authorities attributed the murder of the nine people to a dispute over the ownership of land by drug dealers. Mgr. Vian Morales recalled on Sunday that in his pastoral letter "El Grito de la Selva" in 2000, "drug dealers were increasing in Peten, and nothing had been done against them. Petén had become a no man's land, now it is a land of drug dealers". At the time, from 1996 to 2007, the Archbishop was Apostolic Vicar-Bishop of Petén.
Mgr. Vian Morales added: "I understand that it is difficult to fight this scourge because of the extension of the borders with Mexico and Belize and also for the lack of security in the area, but I ask that interventions are carried out with major authority". (CE) (Agenzia Fides 12/02/2014)
- 2015-06-01 - Thousands are demanding the resignation of the President accused of corruption
- 2015-04-27 - We cannot forget the figure of Mgr. Juan Gerardi, who fought for a different Guatemala
- 2015-01-29 - A reception center for HIV children
- 2015-01-22 - Niños de Paz project to protect thousands of refugees and displaced children
- 2014-11-12 - To strengthen missionary commitment in spite of violence in the country and people's indifference
- 2014-10-28 - "City of Hope": an integral project for young landfill workers
- 2014-10-06 - Violence in Sacatepéquez continues, the government asks for the mediation of the Church
- 2014-09-29 - Child workers: the exploitation of children represents a permanent crisis
- 2014-09-25 - Violence does not stop due to a mega project in the indigenous territories: 11 dead and several wounded
- 2014-09-10 - AMERICA/GUATEMALA – Fighting poverty and undernourishment to escape underdevelopment