ASIA/LEBANON - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
Beirut ( Agenzia Fides) - The Feast of St. Maron, celebrated in the Maronite churches in Lebanon and around the world on Sunday, February 9th, represented for the Lebanese also an opportunity for reflection on the so-called "Bkerké Charter", the document published last week by the Maronite bishops as a contribution to resolve the serious political, social and institutional crisis experienced by the Country.
Many sermons and declarations of national political leaders commented on the suffering and the prospects for a solution outlined in the text.
In St. Maron cathedral in Gemmayzeh, the Archbishop of Beirut of the Maronites Boulos Matar – in the presence of Lebanese President Michel Sleiman and Prime Minister-designate Tammam Salam - denounced the political and institutional paralysis experienced by the Country, inviting them to proclaim a "state of national emergency".
In the patriarchal seat of Bkerké, the Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai reiterated that the real intent of the document is to put Lebanon on the road to recovery, preparing for the election of a new President of the Republic. "The people", added the Patriarch "have lost confidence in politicians, some of whom have unfortunately carried out violations perpetrated against the law". The Mass celebrated in Bkerké was also attended by General Michel Aoun, leader of the Free Patriotic Current and allied with the Shiite of Hezbollah within the Coalition March 8. General Aoun has expressed his full support to the Bkerké Charter, which in his opinion proposes again "the principles on which Lebanon was founded and which ensure stability and continuity to the Country". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2014-04-11 - Neither Geagea, nor Aoun. For Patriarch Rai the new President must be a "figure of consensus"
- 2014-04-10 - The president of Caritas Lebanon: the international community has to open refugee camps in Syria
- 2014-03-26 - Patriarch Rai intervenes on the election of the new President
- 2014-03-18 - Patriarch Rai at the Mass for Caritas: the war of attrition in the Country must stop
- 2014-03-11 - Maronite Church: to encourage organ donation
- 2014-02-15 - The reduction of lands belonging to Christians continues
- 2014-02-10 - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
- 2014-02-05 - The victims of the Armenian Genocide will be canonized
- 2014-02-01 - Maronite priest Paul Karam new President of Caritas Lebanon
- 2014-01-23 - Patriarch Rai: Tripoli will not give in to the spiral of sectarian violence