ASIA/LEBANON - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
Beirut ( Agenzia Fides) - The Feast of St. Maron, celebrated in the Maronite churches in Lebanon and around the world on Sunday, February 9th, represented for the Lebanese also an opportunity for reflection on the so-called "Bkerké Charter", the document published last week by the Maronite bishops as a contribution to resolve the serious political, social and institutional crisis experienced by the Country.
Many sermons and declarations of national political leaders commented on the suffering and the prospects for a solution outlined in the text.
In St. Maron cathedral in Gemmayzeh, the Archbishop of Beirut of the Maronites Boulos Matar – in the presence of Lebanese President Michel Sleiman and Prime Minister-designate Tammam Salam - denounced the political and institutional paralysis experienced by the Country, inviting them to proclaim a "state of national emergency".
In the patriarchal seat of Bkerké, the Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai reiterated that the real intent of the document is to put Lebanon on the road to recovery, preparing for the election of a new President of the Republic. "The people", added the Patriarch "have lost confidence in politicians, some of whom have unfortunately carried out violations perpetrated against the law". The Mass celebrated in Bkerké was also attended by General Michel Aoun, leader of the Free Patriotic Current and allied with the Shiite of Hezbollah within the Coalition March 8. General Aoun has expressed his full support to the Bkerké Charter, which in his opinion proposes again "the principles on which Lebanon was founded and which ensure stability and continuity to the Country". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2015-05-19 - Christian politicians confront each other over "Aoun’s proposal" in order to exit the crisis
- 2015-05-12 - Parties of the two blocs signed a document of "national partnership" proposed by the Maronite League
- 2015-05-11 - Maronite Patriarch: politics and diplomacy is needed for peace in the Middle East, not military intervention
- 2015-05-07 - The Maronite Bishops ask for the feast of the "Lebanese Martyrs" to be restored
- 2015-04-13 - The Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX: the Pope's words on the Genocide express the conscience of mankind, they are not "against" anyone
- 2015-03-31 - Religious Lebanese leaders denounce a plan of sectarian fragmentation of the Middle East
- 2015-03-26 - Christians and Muslims celebrate together the feast of the Annunciation
- 2015-03-17 - The Maronite Church calls for a law to ensure emigrants the recovery of Lebanese nationality
- 2015-03-06 - The Maronite Church promotes the donation of organs
- 2015-03-05 - Meeting between representatives of Hezbollah and the Maronite Church on the election of the President