ASIA/LEBANON - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
Beirut ( Agenzia Fides) - The Feast of St. Maron, celebrated in the Maronite churches in Lebanon and around the world on Sunday, February 9th, represented for the Lebanese also an opportunity for reflection on the so-called "Bkerké Charter", the document published last week by the Maronite bishops as a contribution to resolve the serious political, social and institutional crisis experienced by the Country.
Many sermons and declarations of national political leaders commented on the suffering and the prospects for a solution outlined in the text.
In St. Maron cathedral in Gemmayzeh, the Archbishop of Beirut of the Maronites Boulos Matar – in the presence of Lebanese President Michel Sleiman and Prime Minister-designate Tammam Salam - denounced the political and institutional paralysis experienced by the Country, inviting them to proclaim a "state of national emergency".
In the patriarchal seat of Bkerké, the Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai reiterated that the real intent of the document is to put Lebanon on the road to recovery, preparing for the election of a new President of the Republic. "The people", added the Patriarch "have lost confidence in politicians, some of whom have unfortunately carried out violations perpetrated against the law". The Mass celebrated in Bkerké was also attended by General Michel Aoun, leader of the Free Patriotic Current and allied with the Shiite of Hezbollah within the Coalition March 8. General Aoun has expressed his full support to the Bkerké Charter, which in his opinion proposes again "the principles on which Lebanon was founded and which ensure stability and continuity to the Country". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2015-08-31 - Islamic-Christian summit postponed, while protests against politicians continue
- 2015-08-29 - A Muslim-Christian summit on the agenda to overcome the institutional crisis
- 2015-08-25 - Syriac Catholic Bishop Flavianus Michael Melki, martyr of the "Assyrian Genocide" will be beatified next Saturday
- 2015-07-09 - The Maronite Patriarch: the deadlock on the election of the President is caused by outside interference
- 2015-07-06 - The Maronite Patriarch: the storm will pass, and Christians will remain in the Middle East
- 2015-06-25 - Armenian Catholic Patriarch Nerses Bedros XIX dies in Lebanon
- 2015-06-17 - Prayers to the Virgin of Fatima to invoke the election of a new President
- 2015-06-16 - Maronite and Greek-Melkite Synods have begun. Patriarch Grégoire: 60% of the Lebanese think of emigrating
- 2015-06-10 - The Lebanese pray for the unity of the Country in front of the statue of Our Lady of Fatima
- 2015-05-19 - Christian politicians confront each other over "Aoun’s proposal" in order to exit the crisis