ASIA/LEBANON - Feast of St. Maron, the Lebanese reflect on the "Bkerké Charter"
Beirut ( Agenzia Fides) - The Feast of St. Maron, celebrated in the Maronite churches in Lebanon and around the world on Sunday, February 9th, represented for the Lebanese also an opportunity for reflection on the so-called "Bkerké Charter", the document published last week by the Maronite bishops as a contribution to resolve the serious political, social and institutional crisis experienced by the Country.
Many sermons and declarations of national political leaders commented on the suffering and the prospects for a solution outlined in the text.
In St. Maron cathedral in Gemmayzeh, the Archbishop of Beirut of the Maronites Boulos Matar – in the presence of Lebanese President Michel Sleiman and Prime Minister-designate Tammam Salam - denounced the political and institutional paralysis experienced by the Country, inviting them to proclaim a "state of national emergency".
In the patriarchal seat of Bkerké, the Maronite Patriarch Bechara Boutros Rai reiterated that the real intent of the document is to put Lebanon on the road to recovery, preparing for the election of a new President of the Republic. "The people", added the Patriarch "have lost confidence in politicians, some of whom have unfortunately carried out violations perpetrated against the law". The Mass celebrated in Bkerké was also attended by General Michel Aoun, leader of the Free Patriotic Current and allied with the Shiite of Hezbollah within the Coalition March 8. General Aoun has expressed his full support to the Bkerké Charter, which in his opinion proposes again "the principles on which Lebanon was founded and which ensure stability and continuity to the Country". (GV) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2015-01-28 - The Patriarchs of Antioch: in order to stop the conflict, arms trafficking must be stopped
- 2015-01-19 - Patriarch Rai: also poverty destabilizes the Middle East
- 2015-01-15 - Maronite League: a UN resolution against the attacks on religions is needed
- 2015-01-14 - Frost and snow: first victims due to frostbite among the Syrian refugees
- 2015-01-08 - Maronite Bishops to MPs: elect the new President as soon as possible
- 2014-12-30 - Hypothesis of a meeting Aoun-Geagea to overcome divisions among political Christian forces
- 2014-12-19 - Appeal of the Chaldean Bishop of Beirut for displaced Iraqi Christians
- 2014-12-11 - The Syro-Catholic Bishops: let us apply the principles of the "Declaration of al-Azhar"
- 2014-12-10 - Patriarch Ignace Yussif III at the Synod of the Syro- Catholic Church: let us help to grasp the "signs of the times"
- 2014-12-04 - Maronite Bishops: they are turning the country into an oligarchy, at the expense of the Constitution, the people and the institutions