ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Korean martyrs, a model of holiness"
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - "The beatification of the Korean martyrs is great news for the Korean Church. I am full of joy and I thank the Holy See for such a decision. I want to share this happiness with all those who have worked in the process of beatification and all the faithful who pray earnestly for the canonization" says to Fides the Archbishop of Seoul, Msg. Andrew Yeom Soo-jung, newly appointed cardinal, commenting on the successful outcome of the cause of beatification of the Korean Martyrs. In fact, with the decree signed on February 7, Pope Francis authorized the Congregation for the Causes of Saints to promulgate the decree for the martyrdom of the Servants of God, Paul Yun Ji-chung, a lay, and 123 companions, killed in Korean in odium fidei between 1791 and 1888.
The event, according to the Archbishop, has a great value for the Korean Church today: "Looking at the history, the Korean martyrs are great models of holiness who crossed the barriers of social status and loved their neighbor without gender discrimination, social class, religion. They were promoters of human rights and had an important role in the history of the entire Korean nation. Following the example of these martyrs, we are called to embrace and cherish each other in order to make the world a better place, more just and more fraternal". Mgr. Yeom expressed "gratitude to all those in Korea who, at different levels, have shown interest in this event, especially the government, and all communities and sectors of society, including non- Christians". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2015-11-26 - Prayer initiative for the Jubilee: "The Church in North Korea is in my heart"
- 2015-11-23 - Beyond the peripheries, in search of the "run-away teenagers"
- 2015-11-16 - The closeness of the Church in Korea to French nationals
- 2015-10-27 - Catholic priests from South Korea participate at mass in Pyongyang
- 2015-09-26 - Prayers for peace in the Church closer to the demilitarized zone
- 2015-09-23 - Young people on a mission with a smartphone
- 2015-09-01 - Young friends of the environment, starting from small daily practices
- 2015-07-24 - ASIA/KOREA – Appointment of Auxiliary Bishop of Suwon
- 2015-06-23 - A new United Nations Office for Human Rights focused on North Korea, opens in Seoul
- 2015-06-19 - Prayer and fasting for peace and reconciliation in Korea