ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Korean martyrs, a model of holiness"
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - "The beatification of the Korean martyrs is great news for the Korean Church. I am full of joy and I thank the Holy See for such a decision. I want to share this happiness with all those who have worked in the process of beatification and all the faithful who pray earnestly for the canonization" says to Fides the Archbishop of Seoul, Msg. Andrew Yeom Soo-jung, newly appointed cardinal, commenting on the successful outcome of the cause of beatification of the Korean Martyrs. In fact, with the decree signed on February 7, Pope Francis authorized the Congregation for the Causes of Saints to promulgate the decree for the martyrdom of the Servants of God, Paul Yun Ji-chung, a lay, and 123 companions, killed in Korean in odium fidei between 1791 and 1888.
The event, according to the Archbishop, has a great value for the Korean Church today: "Looking at the history, the Korean martyrs are great models of holiness who crossed the barriers of social status and loved their neighbor without gender discrimination, social class, religion. They were promoters of human rights and had an important role in the history of the entire Korean nation. Following the example of these martyrs, we are called to embrace and cherish each other in order to make the world a better place, more just and more fraternal". Mgr. Yeom expressed "gratitude to all those in Korea who, at different levels, have shown interest in this event, especially the government, and all communities and sectors of society, including non- Christians". (PA) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Catholic Bishops: for 2014 “a Church with a warm heart”
- 2014-02-19 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Forty days for life": Church reinforces its commitment against abortion
- 2014-02-10 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Korean martyrs, a model of holiness"
- 2014-02-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In the wake of Evangelii Gaudium, the Church is committed to the poor and unemployed
- 2014-02-04 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Vocations bloom: the ordination of bishops, priests and deacons in Seoul
- 2014-02-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Pope in Korea? A message of hope for all of Asia"
- 2014-01-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Newly appointed Cardinal Yeom Soo-jung visits the homeless
- 2014-01-15 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Archbishop Yeom Soo- jung: "A call to the evangelization of China and North Korea"
- 2013-12-11 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pastoral Letter of the Archbishop of Seoul: A new year for the new evangelization
- 2013-11-27 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Controversy between a priest and the Korean President: the Archbishop of Seoul invites priests not to get involved in politics