AMERICA/HONDURAS - Recognition proposal for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula
Tegucigalpa (Agenzia Fides) - The Liberal MP Marco Antonio Andino, on February 7 has proposed an official recognition for the intense social work carried out by the Auxiliary Bishop of the Diocese of San Pedro Sula, Mgr. Romulo Emiliani and was presented to the National Congress of Honduras.
Mgr. Romulo Emiliani Sánchez, C.M.F., was born in Colon (Panama) on May 3, 1948, and was ordained a priest in 1976. In 1988 he was appointed Apostolic Vicar of Darién (Panama), and then, in 2002, Auxiliary Bishop of San Pedro Sula (Honduras). In 2004 he founded the organization "United for Life", with the aim of reintegrating the members of criminal gangs in society, and in 2007 he founded the Association "Volver a vivir", for alcoholics and drug addicts. To implement this initiative, the Bishop promoted the construction of a center in the area of Lago de Yojoa. In addition, Mgr. Emiliani was a precursor in the solution regarding the problems of gangs in Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala (see Fides 03/05/2013; 27/05/2013; 18/06/2013; 07/12/2013). (CE) (Agenzia Fides 10/02/2014)
- 2015-03-25 - Minors exploited and underpaid
- 2015-03-03 - There are 6000 teachers: one million children do not go to school
- 2015-02-03 - Card. Maradiaga supports the "Plan de la Alianza para la Prosperidad"
- 2015-01-15 - Over 3000 child beggars on the streets of big cities
- 2014-12-29 - Violence continues to affect mainly children and adolescents
- 2014-11-27 - Violence against women decreases, but there is still an impressive number of cases
- 2014-10-23 - A new location of the detention center in San Pedro Sula for the sake of prisoners
- 2014-10-22 - The right to food for 700,000 people suffering hunger: it is not food that is lacking, but justice
- 2014-10-13 - "Caminando con amor": 5,000 pairs of shoes have been distributed for children at risk
- 2014-08-19 - The church calls on the authorities to change the situation in prisons