AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
Jimani (Agenzia Fides) - The progress made so far in the ongoing dialogue between the authorities of the Dominican Republic and Haiti are assessed favorably by the weekly "Camino", the official voice of the Dominican Episcopal Conference. Both the first meeting, held on 7 January in Juana Méndez (Haiti), and the second held on 3 February, in Jimaní (Dominican Republic), according to the weekly "are the scenarios for a frank and sincere dialogue, in order to achieve harmony between the two neighbors who are called to understand each other".
Government authorities between Haiti and the Dominican Republic are tackling the issue of immigration, which affects more than 1,500 people of Haitian descent living in the Dominican Republic, and that, following the judgment issued by a court, run the risk of losing Dominican citizenship. The Catholic Church said it is always ready to mediate in these dialogues (see Fides 25/10/2013; 02/12/2013; 06/12/2013).
"People understand each other when they talk": this saying of popular wisdom proves to be true throughout history, "we have seen that the greatest and most deplorable conflicts in the world found a solution through dialogue".
Following these examples, we have to follow the same path: "These events should show us, Dominicans and Haitians, that our common problems have only one solution: dialogue and mutual cooperation". (CE) (Agenzia Fides07/02/2014)
- 2014-02-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
- 2013-12-02 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - "The Church is ready to mediate", the Nunzio's intervention on the issue of Haitian immigrants
- 2013-11-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church in defense of creation and against the destruction of natural heritage
- 2013-11-04 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC- Nearly two children die every day in the hospital in Santiago
- 2013-10-29 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Every day from 8 to 20 children are admitted to hospital for dengue
- 2013-10-25 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Revocation of citizenship to children of undocumented Haitians: "We hope to find a way out" hopes the Bishop of Barahona
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – The trafficking of Haitian children towards the Dominican State increases
- 2013-10-07 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - The Church involved in the literacy campaign in the country
- 2013-09-12 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Diocese of San Juan de la Maguana: 60 Years lived with a missionary spirit
- 2013-09-05 AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - At least 850 suspected cases of dengue in the north of the Country