AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
Jimani (Agenzia Fides) - The progress made so far in the ongoing dialogue between the authorities of the Dominican Republic and Haiti are assessed favorably by the weekly "Camino", the official voice of the Dominican Episcopal Conference. Both the first meeting, held on 7 January in Juana Méndez (Haiti), and the second held on 3 February, in Jimaní (Dominican Republic), according to the weekly "are the scenarios for a frank and sincere dialogue, in order to achieve harmony between the two neighbors who are called to understand each other".
Government authorities between Haiti and the Dominican Republic are tackling the issue of immigration, which affects more than 1,500 people of Haitian descent living in the Dominican Republic, and that, following the judgment issued by a court, run the risk of losing Dominican citizenship. The Catholic Church said it is always ready to mediate in these dialogues (see Fides 25/10/2013; 02/12/2013; 06/12/2013).
"People understand each other when they talk": this saying of popular wisdom proves to be true throughout history, "we have seen that the greatest and most deplorable conflicts in the world found a solution through dialogue".
Following these examples, we have to follow the same path: "These events should show us, Dominicans and Haitians, that our common problems have only one solution: dialogue and mutual cooperation". (CE) (Agenzia Fides07/02/2014)
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez
- 2015-05-29 - The Pope urges us not to be indifferent towards immigrants
- 2015-05-20 - 90% of HIV-positive Dominicans live in extreme poverty
- 2015-05-15 - AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC – Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez, Colombian, elected President of CELAM
- 2015-05-04 - The Bishops encourage the President to continue direct contact with people most in need
- 2015-03-16 - Appeal of the Church in the Dominican Republic and Haiti: "Respect the human dignity of migrants"
- 2015-01-28 - Tension on the border with Haiti: appeal to the authorities of both countries
- 2014-10-07 - Requests on behalf of the National Assembly of Pastoral Care: Austerity and solidarity with workers,
- 2014-10-03 - "A people on a mission, sensitive towards solidarity": the National Assembly of Pastoral care is underway
- 2014-09-23 - Public opinion divided on the request for the withdrawal of UNHCR from the country