AMERICA/DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - Dialogue and collaboration, the only way to solve the common problems of Dominicans and Haitians
Jimani (Agenzia Fides) - The progress made so far in the ongoing dialogue between the authorities of the Dominican Republic and Haiti are assessed favorably by the weekly "Camino", the official voice of the Dominican Episcopal Conference. Both the first meeting, held on 7 January in Juana Méndez (Haiti), and the second held on 3 February, in Jimaní (Dominican Republic), according to the weekly "are the scenarios for a frank and sincere dialogue, in order to achieve harmony between the two neighbors who are called to understand each other".
Government authorities between Haiti and the Dominican Republic are tackling the issue of immigration, which affects more than 1,500 people of Haitian descent living in the Dominican Republic, and that, following the judgment issued by a court, run the risk of losing Dominican citizenship. The Catholic Church said it is always ready to mediate in these dialogues (see Fides 25/10/2013; 02/12/2013; 06/12/2013).
"People understand each other when they talk": this saying of popular wisdom proves to be true throughout history, "we have seen that the greatest and most deplorable conflicts in the world found a solution through dialogue".
Following these examples, we have to follow the same path: "These events should show us, Dominicans and Haitians, that our common problems have only one solution: dialogue and mutual cooperation". (CE) (Agenzia Fides07/02/2014)
- 2015-10-29 - Archbishop Bretón Martínez contrary to the wall to prevent the entry of Haitians
- 2015-10-16 - "Learn to live with mutual respect": tension between Haiti and Dominican Republic decreases
- 2015-10-09 - Catholic Church and Public Health together against dengue
- 2015-10-06 - Tensions between Haiti and Santo Domingo for economic measures, the Bishops denounce those who sow discord
- 2015-09-30 - First "regional dialogue" against food waste
- 2015-09-25 - Thousands of pilgrims for the feast of the Patron saint of the country
- 2015-09-22 - Dengue: alert in hospitals and health centers in the Country
- 2015-08-04 - “Haiti refuses to help its own emigrants to regularise their status ” Dominican Republic intellectuals claim
- 2015-08-03 - Migrants: Bishops call for definitive solution
- 2015-07-24 - “Working at prevention” can put an end to violence, says Bishop Peña Rodríguez