AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
San Cristobal de las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of San Cristobal, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, expressed his solidarity with the religious sister Patricia Moysén de Las Casas Marquez and Sister Martha Rangel Martinez, of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent, of San Carlos Hospital in Altamirano, who were attacked while rescuing several wounded.
On January 30, in fact, more than 300 members of the CIOAC (Central independent agricultural workers and farmers) of the community "November 20" reached the Zapatista community "April 10" with the intent to evict those occupying the 286 acres of land. The confrontation became violent, causing casualties on both sides. The sisters arrived to help the wounded when they were attacked and beaten by protesters who robbed their van and ambulance.
The Bishop’s statement sent to Fides Agency, concludes, "they will always have our gratitude for their generous efforts in the integral evangelization of the community".
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel refers in his note that the Secretary of Government Eduardo Ramirez Aguilar, and the Deputy Secretary for Religious Affairs, Victor Hugo Sánchez Zebadúa, were informed of the facts, and they offered to do what is necessary to deal with the problem of land between the communities "April 10" and "November 20" in addition to recovering the stolen van and ambulance. According to information released by officials, on Friday, February 7 there will be a meeting between the parties to seek a solution to the conflict. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2014-03-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The phenomenon of adolescent mothers who drop out of school continues to worsen
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - Ash Wednesday: 200 priests go to prisons, to bring hope and encouragement
- 2014-03-03 AMERICA/MEXICO - Five thousand people with the Bishop to march for peace and the family
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/MEXICO - “We must be all involved to stop the violence” says the Bishop of Zacatecas
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/MEXICO - Prevention is not enough: Church, state and society must work together to combat human trafficking
- 2014-02-18 AMERICA/MEXICO - "Society based on the family": opening of the Year of the Family in the Diocese of Orizaba
- 2014-02-12 AMERICA/MEXICO - Authorities have to talk less and be more effective in terms of safety
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/MEXICO - The Church concerned about the influenza that kills
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/MEXICO - "The use of drugs cannot be fought with drugs", the Archdiocese against the bill