AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
San Cristobal de las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of San Cristobal, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, expressed his solidarity with the religious sister Patricia Moysén de Las Casas Marquez and Sister Martha Rangel Martinez, of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent, of San Carlos Hospital in Altamirano, who were attacked while rescuing several wounded.
On January 30, in fact, more than 300 members of the CIOAC (Central independent agricultural workers and farmers) of the community "November 20" reached the Zapatista community "April 10" with the intent to evict those occupying the 286 acres of land. The confrontation became violent, causing casualties on both sides. The sisters arrived to help the wounded when they were attacked and beaten by protesters who robbed their van and ambulance.
The Bishop’s statement sent to Fides Agency, concludes, "they will always have our gratitude for their generous efforts in the integral evangelization of the community".
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel refers in his note that the Secretary of Government Eduardo Ramirez Aguilar, and the Deputy Secretary for Religious Affairs, Victor Hugo Sánchez Zebadúa, were informed of the facts, and they offered to do what is necessary to deal with the problem of land between the communities "April 10" and "November 20" in addition to recovering the stolen van and ambulance. According to information released by officials, on Friday, February 7 there will be a meeting between the parties to seek a solution to the conflict. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2015-10-08 - Bible in Tzotzil language, completed the work desired by more than 350,000 faithful
- 2015-09-30 - Parish canteen transformed into a hall to exhibit the photographs of missing persons
- 2015-09-28 - Mgr. Arizmendi on the events in Chiapas: "Yes to protest, but never with violence"
- 2015-09-26 - "No one can remain indifferent". A year ago, the massacre of 43 students in Iguala
- 2015-09-25 - Proposal for reform to combat the poverty of 20 million children
- 2015-09-21 - Free surgeries for children and adults with cleft lip and palate
- 2015-09-15 - "In Mexico there is no real administration of justice" says the Archdiocese of Mexico
- 2015-09-08 - Meeting of the Bishops of Mexico and the United States on the expulsion of immigrants
- 2015-09-04 - May our nation be an open space for respectable migration, in justice and peace
- 2015-08-03 - Solidarity Prize: Spanish Bishops in favour of Las Patronas candidature