AMERICA/MEXICO - Solidarity with the nuns assaulted and request to solve the problem of land
San Cristobal de las Casas (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishop of the diocese of San Cristobal, His Exc. Mgr. Felipe Arizmendi Esquivel, expressed his solidarity with the religious sister Patricia Moysén de Las Casas Marquez and Sister Martha Rangel Martinez, of the Daughters of Charity of St. Vincent, of San Carlos Hospital in Altamirano, who were attacked while rescuing several wounded.
On January 30, in fact, more than 300 members of the CIOAC (Central independent agricultural workers and farmers) of the community "November 20" reached the Zapatista community "April 10" with the intent to evict those occupying the 286 acres of land. The confrontation became violent, causing casualties on both sides. The sisters arrived to help the wounded when they were attacked and beaten by protesters who robbed their van and ambulance.
The Bishop’s statement sent to Fides Agency, concludes, "they will always have our gratitude for their generous efforts in the integral evangelization of the community".
Mgr. Arizmendi Esquivel refers in his note that the Secretary of Government Eduardo Ramirez Aguilar, and the Deputy Secretary for Religious Affairs, Victor Hugo Sánchez Zebadúa, were informed of the facts, and they offered to do what is necessary to deal with the problem of land between the communities "April 10" and "November 20" in addition to recovering the stolen van and ambulance. According to information released by officials, on Friday, February 7 there will be a meeting between the parties to seek a solution to the conflict. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2014-07-15 - The solution to the problem of emigration passes through cultural and social conversion
- 2014-07-15 - Bishop Aguilar’s appeal : "Migrant children are not intruders or invaders"
- 2014-07-14 - Cardinal Parolin, Vatican's Secretary of State, in Mexico for the emergency regarding emigration
- 2014-07-11 - The Central American Church's commitment to eradicate the causes of child emigration
- 2014-07-07 - More than 8 million indigenous women suffer physical and moral violence
- 2014-07-04 - AMERICA/MEXICO – Inauguration of a reception center, but the issue on migrants should be resolved at the root
- 2014-07-03 - Formation and spirituality for a missionary Church, engaged in society
- 2014-07-02 - Immigrant children: now even more controls on the southern border of Mexico
- 2014-07-01 - Despite the distrust of the population, the police fight against crime
- 2014-06-30 - Marijuana and cocaine as early as 12 years of age