AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The arrival of Central Africans fleeing their country in the Democratic Republic of Congo does not stop. According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) only last week another 500 people were added to the more than 59,000 Central Africans who since the end of 2012, have found refuge in the DRC.
The main centers of reception are located in the town of Zongo, Libenge and Gbadolite, half of these are hosted by Congolese families and the other half in facilities organized by the UNHCR.
In addition to the Central African refugees also 10,000 Congolese living in Central Africa have returned to the DRC, mainly in Zongo.
Despite the election of the President of transition Catherine Samba-Panza, the Central African situation remains unstable. The lynching of an alleged member of the Seleka Rebels by some soldiers at the end of a ceremony to celebrate the re-establishment of the Central African Armed Forces (FACA) aroused strong emotion. The event, which was held at the National School of the Judiciary, was attended by the highest authorities of transition and commanders of the Sangaris French force and of the African Mission in Central Africa (MISCA). The UN representative in Central Africa called for exemplary punishment against the perpetrators of the crime. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2014-03-04 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "No to indirect elections", say the Bishops who fear fraud and manipulation
- 2014-02-28 AFRICA/DR CONGO - “We have yet to verify the presence of the bodies of the three Assumptionist priests in mass graves discovered” says the Bishop Butembo-Beni
- 2014-02-25 AFRICA/DR CONGO – United Nations will increase Peacekeeping troops in Katanga, a drama signalled by the country's Catholic Bishops
- 2014-02-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - "Unspeakable violence in Katanga" denounce the Bishops of the Province
- 2014-02-17 AFRICA/DR CONGO - North Congolese, an explosive mix: ex Central African combatants and gold mines
- 2014-02-06 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
- 2014-02-03 AFRICA/CONGO DR -"Humanitarian catastrophe" in Katanga, says the UN
- 2014-01-30 AFRICA/DR CONGO - More than 500,000 displaced people from 66 villages destroyed by the rebels in Katanga
- 2014-01-21 AFRICA/CONGO DR - The Catholic Church saves a dozen children from human trafficking
- 2014-01-15 AFRICA/CONGO DR - Disturbing speculations on the killing of the officer who defeated the M23