AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The arrival of Central Africans fleeing their country in the Democratic Republic of Congo does not stop. According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) only last week another 500 people were added to the more than 59,000 Central Africans who since the end of 2012, have found refuge in the DRC.
The main centers of reception are located in the town of Zongo, Libenge and Gbadolite, half of these are hosted by Congolese families and the other half in facilities organized by the UNHCR.
In addition to the Central African refugees also 10,000 Congolese living in Central Africa have returned to the DRC, mainly in Zongo.
Despite the election of the President of transition Catherine Samba-Panza, the Central African situation remains unstable. The lynching of an alleged member of the Seleka Rebels by some soldiers at the end of a ceremony to celebrate the re-establishment of the Central African Armed Forces (FACA) aroused strong emotion. The event, which was held at the National School of the Judiciary, was attended by the highest authorities of transition and commanders of the Sangaris French force and of the African Mission in Central Africa (MISCA). The UN representative in Central Africa called for exemplary punishment against the perpetrators of the crime. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2015-11-30 - At least 30 dead in a new attack of jihadists of the ADF in North Kivu
- 2015-11-27 - The Bishops: "Stop shedding the blood of the Congolese"
- 2015-11-19 - Open discussion on the mission in Africa 50 years after the "Ad Gentes" apostolic decree
- 2015-11-16 - The Bishops: "National dialogue must respect the Constitution"
- 2015-11-05 - Civil society: "There are foreign jihadists in our region despite what the UN says"
- 2015-11-04 - Kidnappings: new plague in North Kivu: more than 600 seizures since the beginning of the year
- 2015-10-30 - Lack of funds put the elections at risk
- 2015-10-22 - Catholic Bishops disassociate from choice of presidency candidate for Independent National Election Commission
- 2015-10-21 - Three years after the disappearance of the three Congolese Assumptionists, no word on their fate
- 2015-10-20 - Religious confessions announce the rapid appointment of the new head of the Electoral Commission