AFRICA/CONGO DR - The flow of Central Africans seeking refuge in the DRC does not stop
Kinshasa (Agenzia Fides) - The arrival of Central Africans fleeing their country in the Democratic Republic of Congo does not stop. According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) only last week another 500 people were added to the more than 59,000 Central Africans who since the end of 2012, have found refuge in the DRC.
The main centers of reception are located in the town of Zongo, Libenge and Gbadolite, half of these are hosted by Congolese families and the other half in facilities organized by the UNHCR.
In addition to the Central African refugees also 10,000 Congolese living in Central Africa have returned to the DRC, mainly in Zongo.
Despite the election of the President of transition Catherine Samba-Panza, the Central African situation remains unstable. The lynching of an alleged member of the Seleka Rebels by some soldiers at the end of a ceremony to celebrate the re-establishment of the Central African Armed Forces (FACA) aroused strong emotion. The event, which was held at the National School of the Judiciary, was attended by the highest authorities of transition and commanders of the Sangaris French force and of the African Mission in Central Africa (MISCA). The UN representative in Central Africa called for exemplary punishment against the perpetrators of the crime. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2015-04-10 - "The massacres in Butembo are a crime against humanity" denounce religious orders in the area
- 2015-04-09 - The opposition demands an investigation into the mass grave discovered 80 km from Kinshasa
- 2015-04-08 - Volcanoes erupting, wars, lack of infrastructure, extreme poverty and schooling for a few
- 2015-03-31 - The creation of new provinces is likely to result in a postponement of local elections
- 2015-03-18 - New violence in North Kivu: "there is an attempt to block the operations against the FDLR" denounces civil society
- 2015-03-12 - Alarm for the recruitment of young Muslims in eastern Congo
- 2015-02-27 - A priest killed in the east of the Country; the Bishop of Goma denounces insecurity in the area
- 2015-02-25 - Strong humanitarian concern for the announced offensive against Rwandan rebels
- 2015-02-23 - “Government must guarantee freedom of press”: appeal following closure of several broadcasters including Kinshasa’s Catholic TV
- 2015-02-21 - AFRICA/ DR CONGO – Election calendar made public: eight elections in two years