AFRICA/MALAWI - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Malawi choose Valentine's Day to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences in Eastern Africa), which will be held in Lilongwe, the capital of the Country, from 16 to 26 July 2014.
The Bishops of Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia (Djibouti and Somalia are affiliate members ) adhere to the Plenary of AMECEA and will be held in rotation every three years.
The Episcopal Conference is responsible for the organization. A spokesman for the Episcopal Conference of Malawi said that "we want to take advantage of the fact that people celebrate Valentine's Day so that they can also contribute to the Plenary of AMECEA".
The organizers are expecting at least 300 people who will take part.
The Plenary Assembly of AMECEA, which will be attended by 150 Bishops, has the theme "The New Evangelization through the conversion and witness of the Christian faith". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2014-04-03 - Montfort Media and Luntha TV: two important missionary voices
- 2014-02-06 - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA
- 2013-11-23 - Corruption Scandal: "Speedy prosecutions to regain the trust of donors" asks the Church
- 2013-09-26 - Conclusion of the 13th Plenary Assembly of the Biblical Centre for Africa and Madagascar
- 2013-08-13 - AMECEA: Plenary Assembly 2014 in Lilongwe
- 2013-02-25 - Rich 20% of population silent to plight of 80% poor
- 2013-01-30 - Funding for AIDS drugs have halved while the Country must cope with flood damage
- 2013-01-16 - There is lack of food, water and health care for the people affected by the floods
- 2012-12-03 - New food crisis in Malawi, denounces a missionary
- 2012-09-26 - The Plenary Assembly of Bishops has begun: Year of Faith and Africae Munus are the focus of the Assembly