AFRICA/MALAWI - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Malawi choose Valentine's Day to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences in Eastern Africa), which will be held in Lilongwe, the capital of the Country, from 16 to 26 July 2014.
The Bishops of Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia (Djibouti and Somalia are affiliate members ) adhere to the Plenary of AMECEA and will be held in rotation every three years.
The Episcopal Conference is responsible for the organization. A spokesman for the Episcopal Conference of Malawi said that "we want to take advantage of the fact that people celebrate Valentine's Day so that they can also contribute to the Plenary of AMECEA".
The organizers are expecting at least 300 people who will take part.
The Plenary Assembly of AMECEA, which will be attended by 150 Bishops, has the theme "The New Evangelization through the conversion and witness of the Christian faith". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2015-05-22 - "Justice and Peace": "The state budget has to give priority to flood victims"
- 2015-05-22 - The Sun Village: center of assistance and support for children in need
- 2015-04-22 - Malawians fleeing xenophobic violence in South Africa: "We were chased like dogs"
- 2015-04-01 - The hope of Easter in the poorest Country in the world
- 2015-03-17 - The Church assists 230,000 flood victims
- 2015-02-25 - Towards a more "human" prison system
- 2015-01-30 - The story of a missionary: Malawi on its knees due to the damage caused by cyclones
- 2015-01-26 - Cholera, hunger, diseases: new threats for thousands of flood victims in Malawi and Mozambique
- 2015-01-22 - "Mgr. Zuza was a person of great courage", says a missionary
- 2015-01-17 - Mgr. Mukasa Zuza dies in a car accident