AFRICA/MALAWI - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA
Lilongwe (Agenzia Fides) - The Bishops of Malawi choose Valentine's Day to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA (Association of Member Episcopal Conferences in Eastern Africa), which will be held in Lilongwe, the capital of the Country, from 16 to 26 July 2014.
The Bishops of Eritrea, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Sudan, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia (Djibouti and Somalia are affiliate members ) adhere to the Plenary of AMECEA and will be held in rotation every three years.
The Episcopal Conference is responsible for the organization. A spokesman for the Episcopal Conference of Malawi said that "we want to take advantage of the fact that people celebrate Valentine's Day so that they can also contribute to the Plenary of AMECEA".
The organizers are expecting at least 300 people who will take part.
The Plenary Assembly of AMECEA, which will be attended by 150 Bishops, has the theme "The New Evangelization through the conversion and witness of the Christian faith". (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2014-09-23 - A "creative" finance act, while 640,000 people are at risk of hunger
- 2014-08-04 - The Bishops of Eastern Africa: "The threat to the family in our region is now more real than ever"
- 2014-07-16 - More than 250 Bishops from East Africa at the Assembly on new evangelization
- 2014-06-27 - Politics restarts a month after the election; "Transition towards normality is not easy", says a missionary
- 2014-05-31 - Malawi has a new President
- 2014-05-26 - Elections contested: the only thing certain are the irregularities and suspicions of fraud
- 2014-05-22 - Disorganization disturbs the conduct of the elections
- 2014-05-20 - "The most uncertain elections in the last 20 years, but democracy is a fact accepted by all", says a missionary
- 2014-04-03 - Montfort Media and Luntha TV: two important missionary voices
- 2014-02-06 - Valentine's Day: occasion to raise funds for the 18th Plenary Assembly of AMECEA