ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In the wake of Evangelii Gaudium, the Church is committed to the poor and unemployed
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - The Church in Korea, in response to the request of Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation, Evangeliii gaudium, confirms the preferential option for the poor and his commitment to the defense, protection and care for the marginalized, excluded, unemployed, who live strong social unrest in Korea. As reported to Fides by the Episcopal Conference, during a recent meeting, the "Justice and Peace" Commission of the Korean bishops, presided over by Msg. Matthias Ri Iong-hoon, expressed his total concern and care for the most urgent social issues that currently regards society. The Commission has expressed solidarity towards the dismissed workers of Ssangyong motor industries as well as to the inhabitants of Milyangm area, who protested for the construction of towers for the transmission of high-voltage electricity. The Bishops Commission have decided to donate the equivalent of $ 55,000 for workers in trouble, dismissed by Ssangyong Motors.
In the note sent to Fides, the bishops reaffirm "the close connection between evangelization and authentic development of society", and confirm their commitment in the light of Gaudium Evangelii. In this regard, the commission has decided to ask the government to reconsider its energy policy, heavily based on the production of nuclear energy, and has announced that it will promote activities to inform the faithful about the risks of nuclear energy production, raising awareness on the issue of sustainable development and environmental protection. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2014-09-02 - ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – A missionary says “thank you Pope Francis: now it is up to us”
- 2014-08-18 - The Bishops: "The hug towards the disabled: the most significant moment of the Pope's visit"
- 2014-07-14 - The site of the Pope's trip to Korea is online
- 2014-06-27 - The Asian Bishops: "The Pope with our young people: an event of grace"
- 2014-06-12 - New commitment to enhance the ecumenical movement: social evangelization and missionary initiatives
- 2014-05-26 - South Korea invites a group of North Korean Catholics to the Pope's Mass in Seoul
- 2014-05-21 - The Cardinal of Seul visits North Korea
- 2014-04-25 - Annual Workshop of Caritas: Communicate to evangelize
- 2014-03-26 - "Small Christian Communities" instrument of evangelization
- 2014-03-14 - Church and government engaged in the Pope's visit; boom of participants at the Asian Youth Day