ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In the wake of Evangelii Gaudium, the Church is committed to the poor and unemployed
Seoul (Agenzia Fides) - The Church in Korea, in response to the request of Pope Francis’ apostolic exhortation, Evangeliii gaudium, confirms the preferential option for the poor and his commitment to the defense, protection and care for the marginalized, excluded, unemployed, who live strong social unrest in Korea. As reported to Fides by the Episcopal Conference, during a recent meeting, the "Justice and Peace" Commission of the Korean bishops, presided over by Msg. Matthias Ri Iong-hoon, expressed his total concern and care for the most urgent social issues that currently regards society. The Commission has expressed solidarity towards the dismissed workers of Ssangyong motor industries as well as to the inhabitants of Milyangm area, who protested for the construction of towers for the transmission of high-voltage electricity. The Bishops Commission have decided to donate the equivalent of $ 55,000 for workers in trouble, dismissed by Ssangyong Motors.
In the note sent to Fides, the bishops reaffirm "the close connection between evangelization and authentic development of society", and confirm their commitment in the light of Gaudium Evangelii. In this regard, the commission has decided to ask the government to reconsider its energy policy, heavily based on the production of nuclear energy, and has announced that it will promote activities to inform the faithful about the risks of nuclear energy production, raising awareness on the issue of sustainable development and environmental protection. (PA) (Agenzia Fides 06/02/2014)
- 2014-03-11 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Bishops: "Korea, rise up in splendor!", the Pope is coming
- 2014-02-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Catholic Bishops: for 2014 “a Church with a warm heart”
- 2014-02-19 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - "Forty days for life": Church reinforces its commitment against abortion
- 2014-02-10 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Korean martyrs, a model of holiness"
- 2014-02-06 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - In the wake of Evangelii Gaudium, the Church is committed to the poor and unemployed
- 2014-02-04 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Vocations bloom: the ordination of bishops, priests and deacons in Seoul
- 2014-02-03 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - The Archbishop of Seoul: "The Pope in Korea? A message of hope for all of Asia"
- 2014-01-24 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Newly appointed Cardinal Yeom Soo-jung visits the homeless
- 2014-01-15 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA – Archbishop Yeom Soo- jung: "A call to the evangelization of China and North Korea"
- 2013-12-11 ASIA/SOUTH KOREA - Pastoral Letter of the Archbishop of Seoul: A new year for the new evangelization