AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Post- conflict" keyword in the dialogue President-Bishops
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos on February 4, paid a visit to the Bishops gathered for the XCVI Colombian Plenary Assembly of the Episcopate. The President thanked the Catholic Church for its efforts for peace in the Country, and stressed the commitment of the Church in matters of education, health and social promotion in almost all the national territory, renewing the request to continue this post-conflict commitment. The Colombian Bishops and President Santos met for about two hours, discussing issues of particular interest regarding the country which concern the Church, such as inequality and social exclusion, education and unemployment.
The real news of this meeting, says the note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference, are the words of the President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia and Archbishop of Bogota, Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez , who mentioned the possibility of a "post-conflict" during which the Church will reaffirm its commitment to live in a just society, reconciled and at peace. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2015-11-24 - Peace process: no need to hasten the signing without verifying the international law
- 2015-11-21 - The Church: need to clarify the referendum to have lasting peace
- 2015-11-19 - "There are connections between the conflicts in the Middle East and environmental issues" says a Jesuit
- 2015-11-16 - Poverty on the rise in Santa Fe and Chapinero: daily wage and lack of retirement among the causes
- 2015-11-12 - Meeting of the Pan-Amazonian Network: necessity to listen to indigenous peoples to protect creation
- 2015-10-20 - Mgr. Castro Quiroga: "The opening of dialogue with ELN is positive news"
- 2015-10-19 - "Pope Francis" food bank for needy families in Villavicencio
- 2015-10-09 - Cardinal Pimiento: "Vote-buying is a crime"
- 2015-10-02 - Become peacemakers: 400 priests offer the opportunity to receive the sacrament of reconciliation
- 2015-09-24 - Colombia towards peace through the path of reconciliation