AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Post- conflict" keyword in the dialogue President-Bishops
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos on February 4, paid a visit to the Bishops gathered for the XCVI Colombian Plenary Assembly of the Episcopate. The President thanked the Catholic Church for its efforts for peace in the Country, and stressed the commitment of the Church in matters of education, health and social promotion in almost all the national territory, renewing the request to continue this post-conflict commitment. The Colombian Bishops and President Santos met for about two hours, discussing issues of particular interest regarding the country which concern the Church, such as inequality and social exclusion, education and unemployment.
The real news of this meeting, says the note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference, are the words of the President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia and Archbishop of Bogota, Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez , who mentioned the possibility of a "post-conflict" during which the Church will reaffirm its commitment to live in a just society, reconciled and at peace. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2014-12-18 - For Mgr. Falla Robles: "The unilateral cease-fire should take place without any conditions"
- 2014-12-13 - SOS of the Bishop on the proliferation of dengue fever
- 2014-12-05 - Peace talks resume December 10
- 2014-12-02 - Satisfaction for the release of the General, but it is necessary to resume talks for a definite peace
- 2014-12-01 - Children are half of the victims of landmines and prohibited explosive devices
- 2014-11-29 - Observatory for Reconciliation and Peace is created
- 2014-11-27 - Hunger and chronic malnutrition cause the death of a child every 33 hours
- 2014-11-26 - Sexual violence on women: a forgotten medical emergency
- 2014-11-26 - Peace talks in Cuba must continue
- 2014-11-21 - The request to continue peace talks: "Do not destroy the hope of Colombians"