AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Post- conflict" keyword in the dialogue President-Bishops
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos on February 4, paid a visit to the Bishops gathered for the XCVI Colombian Plenary Assembly of the Episcopate. The President thanked the Catholic Church for its efforts for peace in the Country, and stressed the commitment of the Church in matters of education, health and social promotion in almost all the national territory, renewing the request to continue this post-conflict commitment. The Colombian Bishops and President Santos met for about two hours, discussing issues of particular interest regarding the country which concern the Church, such as inequality and social exclusion, education and unemployment.
The real news of this meeting, says the note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference, are the words of the President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia and Archbishop of Bogota, Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez , who mentioned the possibility of a "post-conflict" during which the Church will reaffirm its commitment to live in a just society, reconciled and at peace. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2014-09-19 - Proclaiming the Gospel in an Amazonian context: the challenge for the Bishop of Puerto Leguizamo-Solano
- 2014-09-13 - The Week for Peace becomes "Year of Peace" in Cali
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"