AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Post- conflict" keyword in the dialogue President-Bishops
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - The President of Colombia, Juan Manuel Santos on February 4, paid a visit to the Bishops gathered for the XCVI Colombian Plenary Assembly of the Episcopate. The President thanked the Catholic Church for its efforts for peace in the Country, and stressed the commitment of the Church in matters of education, health and social promotion in almost all the national territory, renewing the request to continue this post-conflict commitment. The Colombian Bishops and President Santos met for about two hours, discussing issues of particular interest regarding the country which concern the Church, such as inequality and social exclusion, education and unemployment.
The real news of this meeting, says the note sent to Fides by the Episcopal Conference, are the words of the President of the Episcopal Conference of Colombia and Archbishop of Bogota, Cardinal Rubén Salazar Gómez , who mentioned the possibility of a "post-conflict" during which the Church will reaffirm its commitment to live in a just society, reconciled and at peace. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 05/02/2014)
- 2015-03-25 - Concern of the Church: peace talks must continue
- 2015-03-23 - A priest killed after a violent attempted robbery
- 2015-03-18 - Elections: the Archbishop of Medellin urges the socio-political formation of the community
- 2015-03-10 - "Weapons, from security to threat for the family, must be eliminated" asks the Archbishop of Medellin
- 2015-03-04 - Meeting of Bishops Emeritus
- 2015-03-02 - Testimony of Mgr. Vidal: "Promises arrive in Cúcuta, never decisions"
- 2015-02-21 - Lent: multimedia “On the way to Easter”
- 2015-02-10 - The proposal of the FARC divides public opinion
- 2015-01-29 - Nearly 50 000 children victims of homicide because of armed conflict
- 2015-01-26 - We need leaders who are committed and not "deaf and dumb authorities" says Mgr. Epalza