EUROPE/ARMENIA - Initiatives in support of Armenian refugees who fled from Syria
Yerevan (Agenzia Fides) - There are growing initiatives of various kinds in favor of the Armenian Syrians who fled their country and have found refuge in Armenia. In recent days, the government organization Hayastan All- Armenian Fund confirmed fundraising programs for 2014 also at the Armenian communities of the Diaspora to be allocated to Syrian refugees, with the active involvement of the Armenian Apostolic Catholicosate of Cilicia. At the same time, even the Chamber of Advocates of the Republic of Armenia announced their willingness to offer free expert advice to the Armenians from Syria, while also providing useful information material to deal with legal problems that refugees have to face with.
In Syria, before the war, more than 100 thousand Armenian Christians - Apostolic and Orthodox – represented one of the most numerous Armenian communities of the Middle East. There is no reliable data on the number of Armenian Syrian refugees expatriates in Armenia. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
- 2014-10-15 - Armenian and Syrian Orthodox Patriarchs: Recognize the Armenian and Assyrian Genocide
- 2014-03-04 - Major exhibit on Armenian Genocide available online
- 2014-02-04 - Initiatives in support of Armenian refugees who fled from Syria
- 2013-10-03 - The victims of the Armenian genocide might be canonized
- 2013-02-23 - The “righteous” in the Armenian genocide