AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
Rio de Janeiro (Agenzia Fides) - The annual course of study for Brazilian Bishops (see Fides 03/02/2014) opened yesterday afternoon, February 3, in Rio de Janeiro. This morning, the first conference was held by the Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization of Peoples, Cardinal Fernando Filoni, who dealt with the theme "The Second Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church".
"On 7 December 1965, the Council Fathers of the II Vatican Council promulgated the Decree on the Missionary Activity of the Church 'Ad Gentes'.
In his extensive report, the Prefect of the Congregation for the Evangelization focused on explaining the foundations of mission in the light of the Council, the need "that every Particular Church must not forget its missionary and Catholic vocation", the changes brought about in theology and practice of the mission: "Often mission was largely conceived in terms of absolute religious expansion.
Speaking of the theological foundations of the "missio ad gentes", Cardinal Filoni noted among other things that "many seminaries and Catholic theological teaching centers do not offer courses on the theology of mission. There is little interest in the missio ad intra, and still less for the mission ad extra". Therefore he stressed: "We need a clear vision of God's mission in the world, of the place of dialogue, inculturation, of human development, of the promotion of 'kingdom values ', but in a clear Christological and soteriological theology".
Proposing some considerations on mission in today's multi-religious and multicultural world, the Prefect of the Congregation pointed out that "dialogue is now an integral part of the missio ad gentes.
Even in today's world of postmodernity, there are difficult situations of confrontation or clear ambiguity; this world is often impervious to the Christian faith, since it rejects transcendent experiences".
Tracing therefore future prospects, Cardinal Filoni reiterated that "a paradigm change in the world and in the Church has occurred. Culture has become a crucial element for future mission. In the same way, even human development , dialogue and service are important elements in the missio Ad Gentes". However, even taking into account these aspects, we must never forget "that mission makes no sense without Christ and without the Church". (SL) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
- 2014-03-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - " Fraternity and human trafficking", a constant struggle against this scourge
- 2014-02-17 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life": thousands of religious mobilize against human trafficking
- 2014-02-06 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni: "The announcement ad gentes is part of the responsibility that all the particular Churches have toward Christ"
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Cardinal Filoni to Brazilian Bishops: The II Vatican Council and the missionary dimension of the Church
- 2014-02-03 AMERICA/BRAZIL - 50 years since the II Vatican Council: missionary commitment, consecrated life, episcopal ministry of Bishops
- 2014-01-23 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Prisons do not re-educate and are in crisis: intervention of the Archbishop of Rio
- 2013-11-29 AMERICA/BRAZIL - A single voice: "the problem concerning land has to be solved permanently"
- 2013-11-20 AMERICA/BRAZIL - "Play for Life" campaign against human trafficking in view of the World Cup
- 2013-11-09 AMERICA/BRAZIL - The Bishops: Catholic communities in the front line against human trafficking
- 2013-10-19 AMERICA/BRAZIL - Orionines at the Assembly in Aparecida, 100 years after the arrival of the first missionaries in Brazil