AFRICA/GUINEA – Guinea: a new African hub for cocaine destined to Europe?
Conakry (Agenzia Fides) - Last year, one or two airplanes loaded with cocaine landed in the Republic of Guinea (Guinea Conakry) from Latin America every month. The drug load was then extradited to Europe by criminal organizations that have set foot in the West African country.
This was stated in a survey by Reuters Agency that reports the data published by the U.S. State Department Report on international drug trafficking in 2013, according to which from 2010 to present there has been an increase in the trafficking of cocaine passing through Guinea.
Guinea and neighboring Guinea-Bissau are the eastern terminus of the so-called "Highway 10", which roughly follows the 10th parallel. Almost half of the South American cocaine destined for Europe is believed to take this route.
So far the attention of anti-drug efforts had been focused on Guinea-Bissau, but the arrest, by the United States, of former Chief of Staff, Admiral Jose Americo Bubo Na Tchuto, accused of being the main contact person of Latin American drug traffickers seem to have prompted the latter to move part of their activities in Guinea Conakry.
It is feared that the influx of criminal assets accentuate the scourge of corruption in a Country that is trying to make the most of its immense natural resources to improve the general living conditions of the population. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
AFRICA/GUINEA – GUINEA: A NEW AFRICAN HUB FOR COCAINE DESTINED TO EUROPE?
- 2015-07-23 - Some 16 months since the epidemic outbreak, Ebola still not under control
- 2014-06-24 - Control and prevent outbreaks of cholera with a highly effective oral vaccine
- 2014-06-05 - Ebola outbreak in West Africa
- 2014-03-29 - Outbreak of Ebola: "There is no treatment or vaccine, the priority is to isolate suspected cases"
- 2014-03-06 - AFRICA/GUINEA – A campaign to vaccinate 400,000 children against measles
- 2014-02-04 - AFRICA/GUINEA – Guinea: a new African hub for cocaine destined to Europe?
- 2012-12-19 - A new strain of cholera continues to increase infection
- 2012-12-10 - "Mary, help us grow in faith": thousands of faithful to the Marian pilgrimage in Cacheu
- 2012-04-13 - Uncertain situation in Bissau after a coup attempt
- 2011-12-13 - Cholera cases are reduced thanks to enhanced prevention