AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church's contribution to dialogues of peace: respect the rights of the population
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Ruben Salazar, President of the Episcopal Conference, after the opening of the Plenary Assembly of Bishops yesterday in Bogota, talking to media operators, said that the Catholic Church hopes that the war in Colombia will end soon, and that both the government and FARC must agree on some basic principles so that the dialogues that take place in Cuba are successful.
"For example rights concerning: life, access to health care, education, housing, employment are fundamental and essential for the population. FARC must bare in mind that there are rights that cannot be violated, and the government must remember that it has the obligation to promote those rights" the Cardinal stressed.
The note sent to Fides by Radio Caracol, also reports that the Catholic Church has carried out a study in all the parishes of the country, and prepared a report with political and peace proposals that has been sent to the negotiators in Havana. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
- 2014-02-27 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - We Colombians cannot be indifferent to the suffering experienced by our brothers and sisters in Venezuela
- 2014-02-25 AMERICA/COLOMBIA – Dialogue between two parties on equal terms, not between weak and powerful
- 2014-02-24 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Colombians deported from Venezuela: Catholic Bishops in border area dioceses work to provide assistance and promote peace
- 2014-02-21 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The army must be armored against corruption
- 2014-02-20 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The children of the Aboriginal community Wayuu continue to die of hunger
- 2014-02-10 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Peace negotiations with other groups: the Church's commitment
- 2014-02-05 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - "Post- conflict" keyword in the dialogue President-Bishops
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church's contribution to dialogues of peace: respect the rights of the population
- 2014-02-04 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Plenary Assembly of Bishops on the importance of pastoral action
- 2014-01-27 AMERICA/COLOMBIA - Appeal after the murder of two people in a Church: "They want to kill hope"