AMERICA/COLOMBIA - The Church's contribution to dialogues of peace: respect the rights of the population
Bogota (Agenzia Fides) - Cardinal Ruben Salazar, President of the Episcopal Conference, after the opening of the Plenary Assembly of Bishops yesterday in Bogota, talking to media operators, said that the Catholic Church hopes that the war in Colombia will end soon, and that both the government and FARC must agree on some basic principles so that the dialogues that take place in Cuba are successful.
"For example rights concerning: life, access to health care, education, housing, employment are fundamental and essential for the population. FARC must bare in mind that there are rights that cannot be violated, and the government must remember that it has the obligation to promote those rights" the Cardinal stressed.
The note sent to Fides by Radio Caracol, also reports that the Catholic Church has carried out a study in all the parishes of the country, and prepared a report with political and peace proposals that has been sent to the negotiators in Havana. (CE) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - "Only mercy can make justice a reality", said Cardinal Salazar Gómez
- 2014-08-18 - The first 12 members of the delegation of the victims will participate in Peace Talks which take place in Cuba
- 2014-08-13 - Dialogues of Peace between the government and FARC
- 2014-08-01 - The Church: stop the violence, but do not stop peace talks
- 2014-07-28 - Guerrilla groups become political parties: for the Church this is a positive step
- 2014-07-11 - After the Bishops also international organizations denounce the serious situation in Chocò
- 2014-07-10 - The new President of the Episcopate reiterates that peace is the great challenge of the country
- 2014-07-09 - In the region of Chocò: "We are forgotten by all, we have no protection, people live in anguish"
- 2014-07-05 - The Assembly of Bishops begins: Analysis of social reality and new directives
- 2014-07-03 - Historic meeting between religious communities for peace in the country