AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are finally breathing a bit of peace" says to Fides a missionary in Bouar, in the west of the Central African Republic. "Currently the situation is quite calm after last week’s problems, caused by the Seleka rebels heading towards Chad".
"Bouar is a strategic crossroads because here there are roads that lead towards Cameroon (west) and Chad (north)", explains the missionary. "There have been several clashes between Seleka and Balaka militias, we experienced extremely tense days. The problem now is that Bouar is in the hands of anti Balaka militias that hunt Muslims, many of whom are fleeing. Now there is an exodus of Central African Muslims towards Cameroon".
The missionary adds that "the picture is actually more complex because officially the anti Balaka militias are hunting those who have been complicit with the rebels, but say they want to protect innocent civilians from revenge and acts of predation. And in fact they also organize night patrols to try to limit the violence".
"In addition to these, however, several criminal groups engaged in looting have been created. In short, under the label "anti Balaka" there is a bit of everything", says the missionary. "The inhabitants of nearby villages burned a bridge to prevent Seleka to go back"
At a humanitarian level finally the missionary reports that "the World Food Programme (WFP) working in Bouar collaborates with Caritas to distribute food to the displaced". (LM) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
- 2015-11-23 - The video message from Pope Francis brought to the Muslims by the Archbishop of Bangui
- 2015-10-28 - Archbishop of Bangui tells Fides that he was not kidnapped during a visit to the Central Mosque
- 2015-10-14 - The PMS invite to "put an end to hostility and bickering" and ask for sanctions and compensation
- 2015-10-01 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – More clashes, but people want the stability of institutions
- 2015-09-29 - Thousands of people find refuge in parishes
- 2015-09-29 - Bangui in chaos: the reconstruction of the accidents, towards an uncertain future
- 2015-09-08 - Archbishop of Bangui: "Authority and the international community have to take on their responsibility to stop the violence"
- 2015-08-19 - The 2015 Sergio Vieira de Mello Prize will be awarded to the Interfaith Peace Platform
- 2015-07-24 - AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Training to counter unemployment: 29 teachers receive diploma
- 2015-05-18 - "We have to be humble to have the courage to forgive one another", said the Archbishop of Bangui