AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
Bangui (Agenzia Fides) - "We are finally breathing a bit of peace" says to Fides a missionary in Bouar, in the west of the Central African Republic. "Currently the situation is quite calm after last week’s problems, caused by the Seleka rebels heading towards Chad".
"Bouar is a strategic crossroads because here there are roads that lead towards Cameroon (west) and Chad (north)", explains the missionary. "There have been several clashes between Seleka and Balaka militias, we experienced extremely tense days. The problem now is that Bouar is in the hands of anti Balaka militias that hunt Muslims, many of whom are fleeing. Now there is an exodus of Central African Muslims towards Cameroon".
The missionary adds that "the picture is actually more complex because officially the anti Balaka militias are hunting those who have been complicit with the rebels, but say they want to protect innocent civilians from revenge and acts of predation. And in fact they also organize night patrols to try to limit the violence".
"In addition to these, however, several criminal groups engaged in looting have been created. In short, under the label "anti Balaka" there is a bit of everything", says the missionary. "The inhabitants of nearby villages burned a bridge to prevent Seleka to go back"
At a humanitarian level finally the missionary reports that "the World Food Programme (WFP) working in Bouar collaborates with Caritas to distribute food to the displaced". (LM) (Agenzia Fides 04/02/2014)
- 2014-03-12 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation has improved in Bozoum, but the situation remains precarious in the rest of the Country", says a missionary
- 2014-03-05 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Imam of Bangui: "If we want peace, we must be impartial and condemn all forms of violence"
- 2014-02-26 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC – Work goes on at Bangui university despite chaos
- 2014-02-24 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC - “churches and mosques must be rid of armed infiltrators”: say the Catholic Archbishop and the Imam of Bangui
- 2014-02-18 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The Anti Balaka are doing more damage than Seleka", says a missionary
- 2014-02-14 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "God exists and God knows"
- 2014-02-10 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - Religious leaders’ appeal: "Do not drag religion into political conflict"
- 2014-02-07 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "Christians and Muslims: the same blood, the same language, the same Country"
- 2014-02-04 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA - "The situation in Bouar is a bit calmer although there are reprisals against the Muslims"
- 2014-01-27 AFRICA/CENTRAL AFRICA – Are the Anti Balaka really a "Christian militia"?