AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities, reached through the mediation of religious leaders
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Thanks to the efforts of the Church Leaders Mediation Initiative CLMI in Jonglei State, an agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities between the Government of South Sudan and the Cobra Faction of South Sudan Democratic Movement/Defence Army (SSDM/A) has been reached.
The agreement was signed yesterday, January 30, in Addis Ababa. The parties agreed to immediate Cessation of Hostilities, to non-aggression and refrain from any action that may hinder the ongoing talks in Addis Ababa.
The government in Juba agreed to release SSDA Cobra Faction soldiers still in custody while the Cobra Faction agreed to remain neutral in the ongoing conflict.
The CLMI Chairperson Torit, Emeritus Bishop Paride Taban, said that the agreement is an important step to restore peace in the communities affected by the conflict .
Mgr. Taban finally urged South Sudan political leaders to be transparent, accountable and must not embrace ethnicity and nepotism. He called on the parties to concentrate on massive energies to eradicate poverty and give peace a chance. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2014)
- 2014-08-20 - Security agents release South Sudanese news editor South
- 2014-08-19 - The Bishops' Conference define the closure of Radio Bakhita "unfortunate"
- 2014-08-18 - The main Catholic radio station in the Country has been shut down
- 2014-08-05 - Commitment of the Church and of all the agencies present in Eastern Equatoria to raise awareness against the cholera epidemic that is rampant in the Country
- 2014-07-30 - Thousands of children at risk for an outbreak of cholera
- 2014-07-22 - Child malnutrition rates skyrocket: +73% compared to 2013
- 2014-07-10 - 3 children die every day; 50 thousand at risk for malnutrition, diseases and ethnic conflicts
- 2014-07-03 - 6 hospitals looted or burned in a few months, at least 58 people killed in the hospitals
- 2014-06-24 - Appeal of Christian and Muslim leaders: "Pursue political dialogue for peaceful settlement and end the war"
- 2014-06-13 - Despite the peace agreement there is still alert due to the constant arrivals of refugees in Ethiopia