AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities, reached through the mediation of religious leaders
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Thanks to the efforts of the Church Leaders Mediation Initiative CLMI in Jonglei State, an agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities between the Government of South Sudan and the Cobra Faction of South Sudan Democratic Movement/Defence Army (SSDM/A) has been reached.
The agreement was signed yesterday, January 30, in Addis Ababa. The parties agreed to immediate Cessation of Hostilities, to non-aggression and refrain from any action that may hinder the ongoing talks in Addis Ababa.
The government in Juba agreed to release SSDA Cobra Faction soldiers still in custody while the Cobra Faction agreed to remain neutral in the ongoing conflict.
The CLMI Chairperson Torit, Emeritus Bishop Paride Taban, said that the agreement is an important step to restore peace in the communities affected by the conflict .
Mgr. Taban finally urged South Sudan political leaders to be transparent, accountable and must not embrace ethnicity and nepotism. He called on the parties to concentrate on massive energies to eradicate poverty and give peace a chance. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2014)
- 2015-06-25 - Cholera and rains aggravate the humanitarian situation, thousands of refugees fleeing the war: the testimony of a missionary
- 2015-06-23 - Appeal from Torit: the few NGOs that have remained in South Sudan must not leave over 4 million displaced alone
- 2015-06-10 - New appeal of Christian leaders to stop the "senseless war"
- 2015-05-27 - Christian Churches: "Stop the violence, instigated by leaders, most of whom call themselves Christians"
- 2015-05-26 - Security situation worsens due to clashes
- 2015-05-04 - "Population left to themselves, we are determined to restore peace" say Christian leaders
- 2015-04-22 - Malakal: heavy fighting between soldiers from three different ethnic groups
- 2015-04-21 - Peripheral areas left to themselves due to national conflict: tribal clashes reawaken
- 2015-04-01 - "Stop the war immediately. If the parties are unable to reach agreement by themselves, then they must be persuaded to accept a solution" say Christian leaders
- 2015-03-24 - "Inexperience and corruption are the cause of civil war" says the Bishop of Wau