AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities, reached through the mediation of religious leaders
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Thanks to the efforts of the Church Leaders Mediation Initiative CLMI in Jonglei State, an agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities between the Government of South Sudan and the Cobra Faction of South Sudan Democratic Movement/Defence Army (SSDM/A) has been reached.
The agreement was signed yesterday, January 30, in Addis Ababa. The parties agreed to immediate Cessation of Hostilities, to non-aggression and refrain from any action that may hinder the ongoing talks in Addis Ababa.
The government in Juba agreed to release SSDA Cobra Faction soldiers still in custody while the Cobra Faction agreed to remain neutral in the ongoing conflict.
The CLMI Chairperson Torit, Emeritus Bishop Paride Taban, said that the agreement is an important step to restore peace in the communities affected by the conflict .
Mgr. Taban finally urged South Sudan political leaders to be transparent, accountable and must not embrace ethnicity and nepotism. He called on the parties to concentrate on massive energies to eradicate poverty and give peace a chance. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2014)
- 2015-01-30 - The Bishops denounce: "Land grabbing threatens the stability of the Country"
- 2015-01-16 - The importance of "true hospitality" towards refugees
- 2014-12-15 - Memorial Mass for the victims and for peace, a year after the outbreak of the Civil War
- 2014-11-14 - The first woman mayor of Yei killed: an act against the Church and against peace
- 2014-10-30 - Campaign against the recruitment of children in armed conflict: "Children, not soldiers"!
- 2014-10-21 - The warring parties recognize their responsibilities in the civil war, "an important step for peace"
- 2014-10-09 - The law that strengthens the powers of security services has been approved, the opposition protests
- 2014-10-07 - A million people at risk of hunger if the political crisis is not solved
- 2014-10-03 - South Sudan's authorities threaten Catholic community radio
- 2014-10-01 - Authorities have threatened to close down another Catholic radio