AFRICA/SOUTH SUDAN - New agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities, reached through the mediation of religious leaders
Juba (Agenzia Fides) - Thanks to the efforts of the Church Leaders Mediation Initiative CLMI in Jonglei State, an agreement on the Cessation of Hostilities between the Government of South Sudan and the Cobra Faction of South Sudan Democratic Movement/Defence Army (SSDM/A) has been reached.
The agreement was signed yesterday, January 30, in Addis Ababa. The parties agreed to immediate Cessation of Hostilities, to non-aggression and refrain from any action that may hinder the ongoing talks in Addis Ababa.
The government in Juba agreed to release SSDA Cobra Faction soldiers still in custody while the Cobra Faction agreed to remain neutral in the ongoing conflict.
The CLMI Chairperson Torit, Emeritus Bishop Paride Taban, said that the agreement is an important step to restore peace in the communities affected by the conflict .
Mgr. Taban finally urged South Sudan political leaders to be transparent, accountable and must not embrace ethnicity and nepotism. He called on the parties to concentrate on massive energies to eradicate poverty and give peace a chance. (L.M.) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2014)
- 2014-04-15 - Christian leaders’ appeal: "Stop the violence, this is not the future for which the people of the Country voted"
- 2014-03-11 - Inauguration of the pediatric wing of the hospital in Yirol
- 2014-03-07 - "The South Sudanese people will come out of this crisis stronger than";fifty years from the expulsion of the missionaries
- 2014-03-03 - Malakal, a city of 250,000 inhabitants, completely deserted after the rebel attacks: the testimony of a missionary to Fides
- 2014-02-27 - “Let us work together for peace”: Bishop Taban urges Muslim community
- 2014-02-25 - “Our place is here”: caring for mothers and infants in need of medical attention
- 2014-02-20 - "Civil society needs to be involved in future peace negotiations", said the Nuncio
- 2014-02-19 - Uncertain situation in Malakal, at the center of the fighting between government and rebels
- 2014-02-18 - The truce has been violated: fighting in Malakal has resumed
- 2014-02-12 - New round of peace talks in South Sudan