ASIA/IRAQ - The Leaders of Christian Churches: every adult citizen has to be free to choose his own religion
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of the Christian churches in Iraq hope that the right to freely choose one’s own religion when they reach adulthood is guaranteed to all citizens. This was reported in a statement published after the last meeting of the Council of Christian Church - Leaders of Iraq, CCCLI, which was held on Saturday, January 25 at the Armenian Orthodox church in Baghdad. In the document, sent to Fides Agency, it is asked to explicitly guarantee, at a legal level, the right to freely choose one's religion, also modifying the existing legislation on the civil status of the child with regards to religious matters.
During the meeting - reports the statement - the heads of Churches and Christian communities also dicussed the issue regarding the unification of the date for the celebration of Easter in all the churches of the Country, and stressed the opportunity for a prompt participation of Christian citizens in the coming elections, in a season in which the institutional and democratic solidity of the country is in crisis due to attacks and sectarian pressures. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2014)
- 2015-11-20 - Christian and Muslim leaders in Kurdistan celebrate together the "day of tolerance"
- 2015-11-13 - A kindergarten, a language and professional training center for the displaced
- 2015-11-11 - Large participation in the protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-09 - Chaldean Patriarch convenes a protest against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-11-05 - Even Christians demonstrate in Erbil against the law on the Islamization of minors
- 2015-10-28 - Parliament rejected the request to change the law on the religious affiliation regarding children
- 2015-10-23 - 400 young Christians take part in Kirkuk Youth Day
- 2015-10-10 - Christians in Erbil protest against corruption, "our neighborhoods are being filled with infamous clubs"
- 2015-10-09 - Two Iraqi sisters go and live among the Christian refugees camped in Erbil
- 2015-10-06 - Iraqi Ministry of Justice: Christian property will be protected