ASIA/IRAQ - The Leaders of Christian Churches: every adult citizen has to be free to choose his own religion
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of the Christian churches in Iraq hope that the right to freely choose one’s own religion when they reach adulthood is guaranteed to all citizens. This was reported in a statement published after the last meeting of the Council of Christian Church - Leaders of Iraq, CCCLI, which was held on Saturday, January 25 at the Armenian Orthodox church in Baghdad. In the document, sent to Fides Agency, it is asked to explicitly guarantee, at a legal level, the right to freely choose one's religion, also modifying the existing legislation on the civil status of the child with regards to religious matters.
During the meeting - reports the statement - the heads of Churches and Christian communities also dicussed the issue regarding the unification of the date for the celebration of Easter in all the churches of the Country, and stressed the opportunity for a prompt participation of Christian citizens in the coming elections, in a season in which the institutional and democratic solidity of the country is in crisis due to attacks and sectarian pressures. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2014)
- 2014-08-22 - Cardinal Fernando Filoni: my mission among the sufferings of the Iraqi brothers
- 2014-08-20 - Barzani: ready to arm Christian volunteers
- 2014-07-31 - Mosul, signs of revolt against the "Islamic Caliphate". Bishop Nona: So far no church has been destroyed
- 2014-07-26 - ASIA/IRAQ – Pope Francis calls the Chaldean Patriarch. Rumors about the destruction of churches in Mosul have been denied
- 2014-07-23 - Iraqi Bishops appeal to the Prime Minister and the government: "stop the catastrophe"
- 2014-07-23 - The jihadists of the "Caliphate" attack Tilkif, rejected by Kurdish Peshmerga
- 2014-07-22 - Last exodus from Mosul: nearly three thousand Christians
- 2014-07-21 - ASIA/IRAQ – The Syrian Monastery of Mar Behnam in the hands of the militia of the "Islamic Caliphate"
- 2014-07-18 - The last Christian families leave Mosul
- 2014-07-16 - In Mosul, the Islamic Caliphate orders: no aid to Christians and Shiites, while their homes are being expropriated