ASIA/IRAQ - The Leaders of Christian Churches: every adult citizen has to be free to choose his own religion
Baghdad (Agenzia Fides) - The leaders of the Christian churches in Iraq hope that the right to freely choose one’s own religion when they reach adulthood is guaranteed to all citizens. This was reported in a statement published after the last meeting of the Council of Christian Church - Leaders of Iraq, CCCLI, which was held on Saturday, January 25 at the Armenian Orthodox church in Baghdad. In the document, sent to Fides Agency, it is asked to explicitly guarantee, at a legal level, the right to freely choose one's religion, also modifying the existing legislation on the civil status of the child with regards to religious matters.
During the meeting - reports the statement - the heads of Churches and Christian communities also dicussed the issue regarding the unification of the date for the celebration of Easter in all the churches of the Country, and stressed the opportunity for a prompt participation of Christian citizens in the coming elections, in a season in which the institutional and democratic solidity of the country is in crisis due to attacks and sectarian pressures. (GV) (Agenzia Fides 31/01/2014)
- 2015-07-23 - Also in Kirkuk expropriation of Christian homes
- 2015-07-22 - The government orders the transfer of the military of the Nineveh Plain to Baghdad; Christian politicians protest
- 2015-07-14 - The Chaldean Church of St. Joseph in Mosul transformed into a mosque
- 2015-07-10 - In Baghdad, Christians kidnapped and killed despite the payment of ransom
- 2015-07-03 - The founding conference of the Chaldean League has concluded
- 2015-07-01 - An international conference in Erbil to found the "League of the Chaldeans"
- 2015-06-18 - Chaldean Patriarch sends a message to Muslims for the start of Ramadan
- 2015-06-13 - Thousands of Christian homes taken by deception
- 2015-06-10 - Chaldean Patriarch: a year after the fall of Mosul, only national reconciliation can save the country
- 2015-05-15 - The Chaldean Patriarch visits Tehran: "The Iranian government supports the people and the government of Iraq"